Spice libraries

rhlee

Joined May 5, 2012
Hi,

I'm just getting started with electronics and spice. Currently using easy/ngspice on Ubuntu.

I take it spice doesn't come with a default library that contains a basic set of components.

If does does there exist a library that contains the most commonly used diodes, transistors, op amp etc? (Under an open license preferably) Or do I have to download my own from each manufacturer?

Richard

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Hello Richard,
You pretty much need to find the models on manufacturer sites, and make the symbols up yourself - or use the symbols that came with the software.

I've been using Linear Technology's LTSpice for a number of years - it's freeware, pretty good, and you can run it in Unix under wine. It comes populated with quite a variety of their ICs, and enough transistors, diodes, caps, etc. and examples/tutorials to get you up and going pretty quickly - but of course you'll have to find other manufacturers' models yourself. There is an LTSpice users' group on Yahoo! Groups that is free to join; lots of LTSpice models/symbols available for download there.

Paul Hill's page is handy when you're looking for a particular part:
http://homepages.which.net/~paul.hills/Circuits/Spice/ModelIndex.html
WARNING - the above is a LARGE page!
Searching on Google for "spice model list" will literally get you millions of hits.

rhlee

Joined May 5, 2012
Well, if you don't supply a model id, yes ng-spice will raise an error. What I didn't see was that it would also substitute in a generic model.