Speed of Light Travel

ben sorenson

Joined Feb 28, 2022
I know in space movies the "warp drive " is a method for faster than light travel or ive also heard if you move faster than light you could time travel. I'm not sure of the possibilities of any of these things being real, but I was curious what would the thoughts out there would be if you were able to make a pendulum swing faster than light... it neither moves in a constant forward direction or reverse. Thoughts?

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
It takes infinite energy to get to the speed of light and nothing can be accelerated to above the speed of light. Science fiction it is.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I know in space movies the "warp drive " is a method for faster than light travel or ive also heard if you move faster than light you could time travel. I'm not sure of the possibilities of any of these things being real, but I was curious what would the thoughts out there would be if you were able to make a pendulum swing faster than light... it neither moves in a constant forward direction or reverse. Thoughts?
Where would you do this experiment? If on earth, think how the whole earth would have to oscillate as you put enough thrust into the pendulum to accelerate it left up to the speed of light, then slow it down to a stop before it reaches the right-most limit. Then repeat in the other direction.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Sorry, no, warps.

https://www.olympus-lifescience.com/en/microscope-resource/primer/lightandcolor/speedoflight/
When light traveling through the air enters a different medium, such as glass or water, the speed and wavelength of light are reduced (see Figure 2), although the frequency remains unaltered. Light travels at approximately 300,000 kilometers per second in a vacuum, which has a refractive index of 1.0, but it slows down to 225,000 kilometers per second in water (refractive index of 1.3; see Figure 2) and 200,000 kilometers per second in glass (refractive index of 1.5). In diamond, with a rather high refractive index of 2.4, the speed of light is reduced to a relative crawl (125,000 kilometers per second), being about 60 percent less than its maximum speed in a vacuum.
We can make things (charged particles) move faster than light (actually the speed of causality) in media like dense water or the earths atmosphere. The maximum speed in water is still the speed-of-light in vacuum. Cherenkov radiation is the result of the EM shock-wave from the particle going superluminal in X dense medium.
https://www.iaea.org/newscenter/news/what-is-cherenkov-radiation