Speed encoder for speed feedback

Chaabane

Joined Nov 30, 2009
Hello,
here is my problem
i need to detect the speed of a DC motor.
so i should use an increment speed encoder.
for this I need a timer to count the pulses,and calculate the speed.
unfortunately,i'm out of timers in my application
is there an external circuit to add with the encoder so you i can get an analog speed value.???
or i don't have to use a timer in the first place ????
Help please

eng1ne

Joined Dec 4, 2009
Is it one particular dc motor? If you able to choose a motor with a dedicated feedback signal, get one.

Otherwise, if you can't change the motor, what is the application for the motor? What will the analog signal you generate ultimately be used for?

Chaabane

Joined Nov 30, 2009
Instead of the encoder you can use a small dc motor driven by the shaft of the main dc motor. It will act as a dc generator and its Vout will be directly proportional to the speed of the main motor. The dc out can be measured with one available ADC channel on your pic.

Alberto
Well ,i thought of this ,but its not practical,the dc generator need space,which i don't have...thanks

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
For DC motors,24V, 125 to 450W, try All Electronics. For an analog V speed signal: use reflective sensor with alternating white/black segments on disc or drum [shaft ], differentiate output to obtain uniform pulse, integrate with a current bleed, to give V porportionate to speed.

Chaabane

Joined Nov 30, 2009
For DC motors,24V, 125 to 450W, try All Electronics. For an analog V speed signal: use reflective sensor with alternating white/black segments on disc or drum [shaft ], differentiate output to obtain uniform pulse, integrate with a current bleed, to give V porportionate to speed.
ok, i didn't really understand,but i'll try it.thanks