Speed control of 35 watt fan motor -(single phase AC induction)

kuvz15

Joined Apr 17, 2017
It is 720μs wide, so HOW can it be 720ms wide??
What it shows on my 'scope anyway.
They are missing the 0.72ms
Max.
Max I need to replace VR1 (the 10k variable resistor) with a DC reference voltage in the range of 0 to 5v. Any ideas how I can implement this?

kuvz15

Joined Apr 17, 2017
What is the source of the 0-5v signal?
Is it still manual control?
Are you using the 555 circuit, if so what is the Vcc.
Max.
My group member has designed a user interface unit which with a keypad which produces an output voltage in the region of 0 to 5 V(reference voltage). I am using a 555 and I plan to trigger it with the H11L1M configuration from AN3006. I have an idea of what I need to do to incorporate the reference voltage mentioned above. Do you think the circuit attached will work? well just the DC part up to the 555.

Attachments

kuvz15

Joined Apr 17, 2017
My group member has designed a user interface unit which with a keypad which produces an output voltage in the region of 0 to 5 V(reference voltage). I am using a 555 and I plan to trigger it with the H11L1M configuration from AN3006. I have an idea of what I need to do to incorporate the reference voltage mentioned above. Do you think the circuit attached will work? well just the DC part up to the 555.
And Yes. Vcc is 5v

Vedu2611

Joined Aug 3, 2017
BTW, if using the circuit in AN-3006 and are using a micro in place of the 555, you do not need Q1 invertor transistor, just the 10k pull up.
Max.
Hi Max,

Just looked this up.

I intend to use a microcontroller with certain previously set values of delays to control the phase and eventually speed of my 230V,50Hz single phase induction motor.

What modifications would I need to make if I were to use above circuit but with a microcontroller?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Vedant

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
As long as it is a shaded pole motor, fan variety, I have done it with a PIC12F629.
I based some of it on both Fairchild AN3006 and microchip AN958 & AN954.
There are also many examples of zero cross detection out there.
Similar to this.
Max.

Attachments

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Yes, I mentioned that we are not allowed the use of micros. Thank you so much for suggesting the AN-3006 Max. Hopefully I will be able to implement the circuit correctly as this is my first electronic design project.
Who is "we" and is this a school assignment? You have mentioned "group" and "we". The forum has a section devoted to school work.

Ron