Joined Aug 15, 2015
I want to control the speed of 220V universal motor
I used this circuit
smalltriacswitch.jpg
load is the motor
triac BT136
Moc3061
but it doesn't work at all led work but motor no

I tried to make a bridge between gate and other pin of 470 ohm resister but not works too

so could any one explain !

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
The opto coupler goes across the Mt2 and Gate, make sure its NOT MT1..

To test the triac, short Mt2 and Gate together, connect Mt1 to Neutral, the motor should run at full speed.

mohamed Sami

Joined Aug 15, 2015

To test the triac, short Mt2 and Gate together, connect Mt1 to Neutral, the motor should run at full speed.
is there a difference if it is connected to neutral or hot line ?
Mt1 means t1 in triac

mohamed Sami

Joined Aug 15, 2015
Your circuit looks ok.
What voltage are you applying to the input resistor ?
Bear in mind you will lose a couple of volts across the LED.
i removed the optocoupler and replaced it with wire between gate and resistor but it didn't work too so there are some error in triac part

mohamed Sami

Joined Aug 15, 2015

I have tested triac and all circuit there were some issues that are solved now.
The motor now goes full speed How to control its speed ?
I saw some threads that talking about this topic but i got some questions
1) They said optoisolator must has zero crossing detection and i don't know if MOC3061 has it or not.
2) I found that code to control the speed using interrupt at pin 2 in the arduino what i am saying it that pin 2 should be connected to some hardware or what ?

int AC_LOAD = 3; // Output to Opto Triac pin
int dimming = 128; // Dimming level (0-128) 0 = ON, 128 = OFF

void setup()
{
pinMode(AC_LOAD, OUTPUT);// Set AC Load pin as output
attachInterrupt(0, zero_crosss_int, RISING); // Choose the zero cross interrupt # from the table above
}

void zero_crosss_int() //function to be fired at the zero crossing to dim the light
{
int dimtime = (75*dimming); // For 60Hz =>65
delayMicroseconds(dimtime); // Wait till firing the TRIAC
digitalWrite(AC_LOAD, HIGH); // Fire the TRIAC
delayMicroseconds(10); // triac On propogation delay (for 60Hz use 8.33)
digitalWrite(AC_LOAD, LOW); // No longer trigger the TRIAC (the next zero crossing will swith it off) TRIAC
}

void loop() {
for (int i=5; i <= 128; i++){
dimming=i;
delay(10);
}
}

3) The dimming variable controls the speed so i can change its value in loop by reading from potentiometer as Example ?

mohamed Sami

Joined Aug 15, 2015
Yes your opto has zero crossing detection built in.

But the Arduino has to detect the mains Zero crossing, so it can get the correct timing, like this,

Zero crossing detection..

http://cdn.instructables.com/FQZ/NYV7/H8CVG9TK/FQZNYV7H8CVG9TK.MEDIUM.jpg

Datasheet opto.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...SIvCZg&usg=AFQjCNGTnd7GyY4FDyYebggoQyqwOrwwsg
I found that code to control the speed using interrupt at pin 2 in the arduino what i am saying it that pin 2 should be connected to some hardware or what ?

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
i dont know how you have wired your arduino up, a drawing would help, i dont understand the code either,
but you need to have a pin on the arduino pick up the zero crossing from the mains, and another pin giving out the pulses to the triac opto.

mohamed Sami

Joined Aug 15, 2015
i dont know how you have wired your arduino up, a drawing would help, i dont understand the code either,
but you need to have a pin on the arduino pick up the zero crossing from the mains, and another pin giving out the pulses to the triac opto.
i mean "pin on the arduino pick up the zero crossing from the mains" where to connect it ? is somewhere at optotriac or what ?