Specifying a VGA Cable

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I'm moving around a recent PC system I own and ran into a problem with the monitor: apparently to reach it's 1920x1080 resolution it needs to negotiate between the PC and the monitor on the VGA cable.

I say negotiate as all works well using Dell's cable, but the resolution drops and the display type if the system reboots with an alternate cable. It is fine if you change cables with power on, but that Dell supplied cable must be there on power up.

OK, there's some unconnected pins in my substitute cables. How do you select a VGA cable that has all the pins connected?

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Pins 12 (data) and 15 (clock) are the communication pins
Yep, I know that. How do I buy a cable that connects these pins?

I may have found some info to make this a fixed windows setting that doesn't get refreshed every time.

More to follow.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Wow... finding a cable on the internet was extremely difficult, and the prices seemed out of line for anyone that would spec "DCC" or anything else.

Dropped down to the local Micro Center (great computer store if you're blessed with one) and found the QVS brand on the shelf marked "Fully Wired & Straight thru." A tad expensive at $2.50 a foot for a 10 foot length (but it did say "premium").

Worked out good. The "Fully wired" claim is counter claimed on their website which states "Pin 9 no connection."

Whatever. I have a good cable.

Next is a video switch. I have an old school mechanical switch I'm going to permanently wire one input to the output so the W7 platform always sees the DDC info.

Thanks for the help bertus and nsa.