Speakers - Replacing the wires that carry the audio to the jack

jotwerde

Joined Jul 19, 2018
EDIT FOR THE TITLE: It should be "that carry the audio from the jack" rather than "to the jack" as the device delivers the audio over the jack and wires to the speakers.

Recently, one of the wires connected to the audio jack of my speakers cut off directly next to it (due to bending and twisting of the wire next to the jack), so I cut off the jack, bought a new jack and soldered the wires and ground onto it.

Worked fine but the wires being thin stranded ones, one of them cut off again, exactly next to the solder joint (I tried resoldering it, with the result being the same failure).

I figured I'd better replace the stranded wires and ground with solid ones, instead of reusing the stranded, and solder these onto the jack.

The wires, though, each have a stranded ground wrapped around them that fully covers them (like a shielding).

So, how do I recreate that with a solid ground (do I even need to?)?
Should I wrap a solid ground loosely around each of the two wires? Or run a ground next to each without wrapping it around? Or is it ok to run just one solid ground for both wires next them?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I figured I'd better replace the stranded wires and ground with solid ones, instead of reusing the stranded, and solder these onto the jack.
There's a reason why stranded wire was used in the first place. A better solution would be to use some sort of strain relief (with stranded wire).

jotwerde

Joined Jul 19, 2018
Solid core wires break more easily with bending than stranded wires.
A better solution would be to use some sort of strain relief (with stranded wire).
You're both right. I'll stay with the stranded.
So, which kind of strain relief would be suited in this case?
And is replacing the wires with thicker stranded ones maybe an option to consider for improved durability?

Out of curiosity, though, I'd still like to have my original question answered, if anyone'll take the trouble to do so.

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
Shielding doesn't matter much with speaker leads, so it would be OK to replace the whole cable with lamp cord or something. But, to create a strain relief, heat shrink tubing should work. It may help to apply silicone sealant or hot glue over the connections, and then put the heat shrink tubing over that.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Can't take a pic right now, but the jack replacement's one of these and the wire broke exactly at the solder joint (above the solder) at the solder spot for the left audio.
Those plugs generally have a crimp to secure the insulation of the cable to relieve strain on the actual wire cores. This is the part labelled 'ground'. Make sure that the insulation is secured here.
1572172013243.png