speaker rating

electronic_noob

Joined Jan 15, 2010
in speaker what is the "power capacity" of the voice coil? is it the power input for the speaker(if that so then i'll only look on the speaker's datasheet)
if not, what is it, and how can it be determined.

thanks in advance for the help

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
in speaker what is the "power capacity" of the voice coil? is it the power input for the speaker(if that so then i'll only look on the speaker's datasheet)
if not, what is it, and how can it be determined.

thanks in advance for the help
Generally it's what the manufacturer wants to claim it to be. There's a lot of hype and very little truth involved in a lot of the specs put out by speaker manufacturers.

If you've got a name brand speaker that claims it can handle 100W RMS that means everything internal to the speaker should be able to handle a continuous pure sine wave input of 100W RMS over an indefinite amount of time and that is sssumed to be over the usual audio specification range of 20 Hz - 20 KHz.

If it isn't a name brand that 100W RMS may only be at a certain frequency or in many cases may be only for a fraction of a second.

Then you've got the even cheaper ones that claim they can handle a 900W input that might boil down to a sad fact that the speaker can only take 10 W RMS when tested under actual FTC conventions.

Last edited:

electronic_noob

Joined Jan 15, 2010
I can't seem to find any match with power capacity of the voice coil , therefore I'll just assume that "it is" the power capacity of the speaker, thanks for the help, it is greatly appreciated

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
Of the woofer yes, unless the crossover ends up feeding more to the midrange &/or tweeter.

As a general rule it's based on the power handling capacity of the woofer's voice coil.

The problem still exists that some speaker manufacturers tend to make claims far above and beyond reality.