spanned volumes

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
I am wondering i have learned that spanned and striped volumes are. spaned is somewhat similar but in striping a file is writen to all disks at once. but spanned fills a drive to capacity then goes on to the next disk. and that if one disk fails in either the whole volume is lost. this makes since especily for a striped aray. but if a spaned should fail couldn't you just access the contents on all the disks individualy on the disks that are still ok?
this sees like it would work to me and is the main reason i like spanning more than stripeing. am i correct or is it one fails the whole thing is toast?

coldpenguin

Joined Apr 18, 2010
but if a spaned should fail couldn't you just access the contents on all the disks individualy on the disks that are still ok?
this sees like it would work to me and is the main reason i like spanning more than stripeing. am i correct or is it one fails the whole thing is toast?
As Bertus says, once a spanned volume is failed, the whole volume is invalid.
However, if you use a data recovery service, probably more of the data would be recoverable from the good disk rather than RAID0.
A spanned volume IMHO gives little benefit, only a more likely chance of failure.

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
i know the whole thing is technicly lost. however you should be able to make one off the still ok drives andrecover the data. or use them singularly they still should have the data except for the bad drive contents. i would think.