Source for sealed wire nuts in marine enviroment

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I'm re-installing a 12V lighting system, last one was removed by hurricane Sandy. The building (lighthouse actually) is located in the middle of a salt water harbor. I'd like to waterproof and wire connections. I have found these nice things:

DryConn Medium Direct Bury Wire Connectors.

These are pretty good as they contain a silicon based gel to self-seal as they are twisted on. However... I would rather have an RVT type of sealant, something that goes thru a cure cycle.

Is such a thing available? Anyone do any dockside wiring and have advice?

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Be careful using some sort of bathroom silicone. As those silicones are acid curing . Google electronics grade sealant. It may be rules that regulate the use of this in mains related applications

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Not exactly what you are asking for but I've used the Weather Pack stuff from DelCity on board and on trailers, etc. in fresh water. Don't know about a hurricane.

Have fun.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I used a regular wire nut that I filled with Duco cement before twisting it onto the wires. They have been running in a sprinkler system for six year, and I'll let you know whether it works or not in another 15 years or so :)

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
some silicones shrink over time - that is why they release from your bathroom wall after about 3-5 years. The liquid goo lasts a very long time and i have had great success with them in wet (high-water table) area for low-voltage lighting. Most important is to seal the wire-insulation interface so salt water does not seep in and contact the copper wire. The wire will turn black and become fragile.

cork_ie

Joined Oct 8, 2011
What you need is Silicone grease it is extensively used in the marine environment and will not attack rubber plastics etc.

Buy a good reliable brand - Chinese Silicone grease is generally inferior quality and will not work well in a marine environment.

In my experience vaseline is quite good if you dont have salt water actually sloshing over the connection. I have used it many times when stuck over the years and am regularly amazed that the connection is perfect the following season.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Thank you all for the responses!

Hurricane survival is *not* a requirement. Lasting several years is desired. Six years would be exceptional as this is a rather harsh place for anything electrical.

So it seems the silicon goop within these wire nuts is a standard practice. I'll run with that and keep yoos updated in the years to come.

BTW, of the 3 lights installed 1 was a dud: low voltage lights are designed to run off AC, but this one only ran off a single polarity. I broke it down some but did not reverse engineer the driver: did note 4 discrete SMD diodes, 2 electrolytic caps some 0402 R's and two power IC's of a number that did not show in a web search.