Source for gears, bearings, axles etc?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I have an idea for a clock based on a propeller clock. My idea would use persistence of vision like the propeller clock except the LEDs would be mounted on a cylinder.

The cylinder would be mounted horizontally and be spun by a motor.

I figured I could use PVC tubing for the cylinder. I wanted ideas on where I would get the rest of the works. I figured I would need an axle with bearings and either some kind of belt or gear drive. Any ideas where I would get this stuff?

I have been looking very closely at VEX parts again. I like their parts, but their prices do scare me a bit; though other compadres ensure me that the prices aren't that bad. I'd like to know about alternatives to them as well.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Try this.

MSC

Personally and professionally have never had any problems.
Thanks. Tons of parts out there. Any idea what I would select for a project like this?

This is way a walk in store is so great for something like this. You can put you hands on the stuff and see if it would work out.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I'm not sure you need gears. I imagine it will be pretty lightweight and so easy enough to spin with pretty much any motor. 10000 RPM is only 167 Hz which is pretty good for persistence of vision. Anything under 100Hz starts to look flickery.

mhutchie1

Joined Jan 21, 2013
As a word of warning after doing several rotational persistence of vision displays myself, it is best to have NO gears and opt for a brush-less motor, (purely electromagnetic is preferred). If you use gears, or have a system based on a cheap motor bearing, once the motor is spinning at speed, you will have deviation in the path of the LED's, resulting in an undesirable effect, and decreasing the resolution of your project.

I have seen many of these projects on Youtube done with 12V PC fans, however it is best to select a motor in conjunction with well oiled bearings to do the job.