Sound Sensitive LED Sequencer

ClncyFshSlayer

Joined Jul 4, 2012
I have a circuit that I designed and it has been giving me total fits to get working. It runs off an electret mic, that runs though a high pass filter, then is sent through an LM358 op amp to boost the signal by roughly 100X, then through a switching diode acting as a max voltage sensor and into another op amp used as a comparator, then to a decade counter to advance 1 LED per beat of the music.

I can get the circuit to work, however is does not follow the beat well and it appears that multiple LEDs light at the same time. Any help on this circuit would be great. A better schematic or PCB layout would be amazing.

The whole idea is to sequence 10 strings of 4 to 6 LEDs with the music using a 12V 4.2A computer power supply, preferably using direct audio input from the back of a stereo, but a mic will work too.

Here is a video of what I want to make this circuit do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fklG4tEXsDg

Attachments

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
You are using a high-pass filter, but want the circuit to advance to the "beat" of the music? I would have thought that the "beat" would have been much more strongly associated with the lower audio frequencies.