sound effect

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Does anyone know of a simple circuit that will make a sound like a "machine gun" firing? Basically a "BANG" at around 10hz.

I collect antique toys, and found a machine gun that was used in a carnival. Well most of it. The gun body, swivel mount(that was on a big wooden counter), the vibration motor to simulate recoil and the speaker that made the firing noise(built into the gun body).

I'm going to build a wooden base box to mount it on and would like to have it "shoot" when the trigger is pressed.

Any ideas on a circuit?

Thanks, cary

redlight000

Joined Feb 26, 2010
Hi Shortbus,
dont know if this chip would suit your requirements, "The UM3561" thats got a machine gun sound built in... like sgt wookie said but this only needs a Spst switch.. to switch the whole device on.. its the Velleman sound generator the cheap one £6.99 or 5.99 cant remember.. but its real cool... operates on 9volt PP3 battery.. and it does Police, ambliance fireengine, machine gun.. the output is a bit naff being a Square shaped speaker.. @ 8ohms.. I'm sure you could add your own speaker if you wanted.. Just a suggestion here.. Ive built about three of these.. & Yes the PCB comes with it as do all the parts... very neat kit.. me thinks..
cheers
redlight000
:D SORRY The place to get it from is old Maplins" OK?

redlight000

Joined Feb 26, 2010
Thanks sgt wookie...
I dont know how to take that????????????????? was the Post Naff?

anyhow see you later aligator..not for a while crocodile lol< Joke.
:D

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Thank you both for the answer, they are both the same basic kit, so they must be OK.

redlight, you say you've used them? Do they sound similar to a gunshot? Could I run the output of the kit through a LM386 amp to make it louder?

Also you guy's are using a word I;m not familiar with- NAFF? Whats that?

Thanks again both of you.

redlight000

Joined Feb 26, 2010
Hi Shortbus,

To be Honest, "No" it dont sound like that, more of continuous, sound ie(like you wanted machine gun sound) ... You proberly heard google search for "gun shots" sound effects CHip or Intergrated circuit....

Do you know about the Timer Chip? I have not tried this myself but if you get the oscilliation right, with say two timers.. the first in astable mode then feed that to the second timer, that may work.. but its Trial & error.. like I've had to do.. flipping seven years I've been on electronics.. and got various sound effects that I wanted not the Chip wanted <lol> give it a try...
Failing that you got rapidelectronics.. RS components, Quasar <"Yes" they do a special sound chip which covers a multitude of sounds.. oakley electronics, to name a few...

or another one Globalspec.com they cover loads of chips but you have to enquire.. ok?
Hope this helps...:D
good luck..
redlight000

redlight000

Joined Feb 26, 2010
Sorry I forgot to add,
that I dont know about amps Ive read up on them like the LM386.. LM380 etc... but my sounds are usually loud anyway, unless I increase the resistance on the output, pin 3 in case of the timer.. it can get quite complex Im afraid.. but you get amazing results.. if you push and push... yes it gets boring but if you want what you want then go 4 it.. & I find it comes in the end (Hopfully)
ok..
cheers
:)