Sound Effect Circuits

nickorossa

Joined Jun 28, 2010
I'm looking to build a number of small circuits to provide sound effects for some stuff for the kids.

I've come across a couple links for IC's that provide dedicated effects such as the UM3561 that provides a couple of sounds and some other ICs that provide sirens.

I'm looking though for some other sounds like a car engine, horn.

Is there a list of IC's anywhere that are dedicated to sounds effects or is it a case of using google to try and locate something. So far I haven't found a huge amount.

Is there a circuit that can be built that has a number of pots and other variable components that can be used to experiment and produce specific effects.

Would a simpler option be to use some sort of record/playback chip?

Thanks for any help and direction you can provide.

Nick.

nickorossa

Joined Jun 28, 2010
Hi

Alsorts really.

One of the things I was going to do was make a board to go in the garden with lots of push button switches that would play different sound effects and light up. For that any sound effects would do; whether it was sirens, animal noises etc. Whatever I can find really.

Another project is more centered around her electric car, where I was thinking of adding an engine sound and horn/sirens.

Anything that is easily available without large cost.

Nick.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
For lots of sound effects but requiring many external parts a COMPLEX SOUND GENERATOR SN 76477N might do. Instructions for some: bird chirp, steam whistle, organ, race carmotor/ crash, phasor, gunshot, prop plane, steam train... R-S used to carry it as 276-1765.

nickorossa

Joined Jun 28, 2010
Bernard, Bertas,

Thanks for your replies. Lots of things to play with there (all for the kids of course ;)).

Best Wishes.

Nick.

nickorossa

Joined Jun 28, 2010
Hi

A little further research shows that the key ICs in most of these circuits aren't made any more :eek: or I can't find them in the UK :confused:.

ht2844p
ht28xxp which seem to be replacements.
SN76477N
CA3046

Looks like I'll have to look to eBay or pay international shipping.

Regards.

Nick.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Last edited:

nickorossa

Joined Jun 28, 2010
Hi Bertus,

I found a supplier for the 76477 chip, so will look to that route first. Partly as there are already some published circuits etc.

Thanks for your help though. You've found some great links that I couldn't find.

Nick.