sound and lights baby

NathanHaskell

Joined Jul 27, 2010
Howdy all.

I have a little something I'd like to build for someone. Basically this guy is turning his wheelchair into his own bike as much as possible, I'm going to fit some red LED clusters into some exhausts for him which is nice and simple as their built for 12v bike systems so I can plug those in no problem for him to activate via a switch but I'd like to go one step further, when this momentary switch is pressed I'd like it to activate a 2 - 3 sec sound clip of a bike revving. I don't have a clue of where to start thinking about this kind of circuit. Any help would be most awesome, thanks, Nathan

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
You can get these little memo recorders which let you record a ~10 second clip. It would then be fairly easy to hack this by wiring a connection into the switch.

NathanHaskell

Joined Jul 27, 2010
Hi Tom,

Those memo recorders have to be constantly ready just to play that one clip so I'm not sure that would be appropriate (?), however, your suggestion did lead me to think of a alternative idea, it should be more like the items you get in a childs toy that (for example) would just play a short clip of a fire engine. where should I start looking for a device like this, I've been trying to search on the web but I'm obviously not putting in the correct terms or phrase. thankyou for your reply.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
What do you mean 'ready'? You mean they'll drain the batteries? Well, maybe, but they'll take at least a few months in standby to do that, if you want a more reliable power supply, you could hook it into the batteries (you mentioned some kind of 12V system), with a regulator to drop it down to the 1.5 volts or so required. Let me know if you need help.

Here's one example of such a system, albeit wired into a car and used to play a prank:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObgIyxiN-Hs

NathanHaskell

Joined Jul 27, 2010
that link is spot on to what I require, this weekend I'm going to scan a couple of kids toy stores to see if there's any such gadget. yes I was referring to draining the batteries but the battery in question is a 12volt Harley Davidson battery so I expect it to last for some time anyway. thankyou so much for your help so far, I'll let you know what I come up with this weekend

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
What country are you in? I've got a voice record pen sitting around that I don't need, but it's probably only worth sending it in the UK.

NathanHaskell

Joined Jul 27, 2010
Thankyou markd77 I appreciate your help, as it turns out we're in the same country but I did a 'call out' on facebook last night and have managed to get a childs book that records and plays back for 10 secs. I'll let you know how it goes. Many thanks, Nathan

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
OK, if you end up wanting it, just PM me your address and I'll stick it in the post. The circuit board is about 10X20mm + speaker and mic and it runs on 3 watch batteries.