soon to be college graduate

scordova

Joined Jan 10, 2009
Hello,
I'm 20 years old, and am about to graduate with an electrical engineering degree(3 semesters left). I'm eagerly expecting graduation, but am not entirely sure what i want to do afterward. I do know that i either want to go to grad school, or find entry level employment. does anyone have insight/advice as to what i should expect after graduation?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
If you can afford it it might be a good time to stay in school. Jobs are scarce.

If you think the situation is going to get much worse you might want to try for a job while they are available.

floomdoggle

Joined Sep 1, 2008
Hey Scordova,
May seem impossible, but try to do both. Learning how to work, even if the job is only slightly related to your field, may show you what is expected of your skills. School and reality are usually two different things. Learn that as early as possible. Only the deadwood is getting laid off right now. Learn how to work, and make money; then enjoy life!
Dan

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
Hello,
I'm 20 years old, and am about to graduate with an electrical engineering degree(3 semesters left). I'm eagerly expecting graduation, but am not entirely sure what i want to do afterward. I do know that i either want to go to grad school, or find entry level employment. does anyone have insight/advice as to what i should expect after graduation?
Another consideration is what type of work you want to do. If you want to do research or high level design work, then grad work is helpful and there is no reason not to at least get your Masters degree done quickly if you can make ends meet. Often you can get a graduate assistantship that pays tuition and pays you half time at a decent rate. Jobs will always be there, and a Master's degree rarely hurts your prospects.

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
Another thought just occurred to me. When I was in your position, someone gave me some good advice. They said, "When you look for a job, look for a good boss, not a good company". That advice can be applied to grad school also. Look for a good Professor/Adviser, not a good school.

Of course, both your leader and your institution are important, but you get the point. I've encountered many people that had bad educational experiences in grad school. It was usually the result of a bad adviser. Something similar could be said of bad job experiences.

mhean_ee

Joined Aug 25, 2008
Practicing your course by means of a job could probably make grad school easier. If you're already working, let's say you're working as an Electrical Engineer, you could already relate those theories in school with the realities you have in your job.

Good Luck!!!