Sony SL-2000 beta VCR reel motors

jwlehman

Joined Apr 16, 2009
Hi,

Would anyone like to reach back 30 years to provide any guidance on an issue I'm having with an intermittent take-up real drive problem on this machine? Tape loading, fast forward and rewind work find. In play mode the take-up real does not run 9 out of 10 times. The capstan will pull the tape across the drum, it will play well, and the tape dumps into the machine with no take-up reel rotation. This occurs for 4 different tapes I've tried.

During fast forward an AC signal is applied to the take-up reel line of the reel board of about 4V pp. Similar case on the supply reel line for rewind. For the take-up reel when tape movement is not energized this line is at about .5V DC. When in play mode this signal shows about a .5V square wave superimposed on the DC for about 1/2 second and then goes to 1.5V DC and stays there. This seems to be the behavior whether or not the reel motor turns. I've pulled out the reel board and made basic checks of the components - all seems fine.

Any suggestions? Thanks for taking time to look at this!

Jeff

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Wow, fire up the way back machine. :p

Just a stupid suggestion. Any chance that the problem is mechanical? Any time I ever had tape handling problems it was due to an old belt (glorified rubber band) or a sticky pulley or something like that. It was never the electronics.

You may want to consider going digital. ;)

jwlehman

Joined Apr 16, 2009
Thanks for the ideas. Digital? Will it really catch on? The project is actually so that I can get a beta running and transfer some old family videos to mp3.

The design of the deck is actually pretty good - the only belt is on the cassette loading motor. The reels are directly driven by a motor for each. Still, being the problem is intermittent, I'll look more closely at the mechanical pieces and sensors.

Jeff

sheldons

Joined Oct 26, 2011
ok ill dig out my manual what you need to look at is the reel idler assy which stands a very good chance of being worn-at one time you used to be able to obtain a full service kit for these machines-belts,tension band,take up and supply clutch ,reel idler etc....post a photo of the deck for me so i know what we are looking at deck wise

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
Not sure if it is the same as SL - HF2000 VCR. I found the free service manual here, but there is no schematics inside (some pages are missing.....

Anyway you can try download it and see if it is helpful.

SL-HF2000 Sony VCR

Allen

jwlehman

Joined Apr 16, 2009
That's correct, the tape transport in the sl-hf2000 is different. I did find the service manual for the sl-2000. Of course, the only thing missing from that manual is detail on the reel drives:(