Sony rear projection TV 61 inch kp-61hs10 crt sparking

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Before adjusting any code in the service menu, you should see manual alignments. Before going in to code readjust check the convergence adjustment and screen voltage alignment from the service guide

The three guns are adjusted with pattern signals. Do u have one. The purity magnets centers the beam for proper dot alignment

DO NOT DO ANYTHING OUTSIDE THE SERVICE GUIDE. REAR PROJECTIONS ARE TRICKY.
FOLLOW THE GUIDE, IF IN DOUBT DO NOT MAKE ANY ASSUMPTION. RECORD EVERY LITTLE THING. I CANNOT HELP YOU MUCH BEING FAR AWAY.

purity magnets are not on the deflection coil. They are mounted on the tube not on the neck. Prior to the deflection coil.
I presume u never touched any screw on the tube and deflection mount.

aouate3

Joined Apr 17, 2011
I will do that, but with the manual adjustments, what exactly should i be looking to adjust, in the service manual, it says how to make the adjustments, but it doesnt say the scenario to make the adjustments

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Scenario is usually with a pattern generator. Without it it is difficult.
If you have not moved any thing inside and not changed any alignment codes, why is it the green gun is out of alignment.

I think you need to look inside. You must have moved something. compare the guns and look thoroughly. You should not get a misalignment if you have not moved anything.
I have a strong feeling you must have moved a purity magnet. The photo tells me that.
I do not think you should change any codes yet. Without a pattern it is pretty difficult and tiring

aouate3

Joined Apr 17, 2011
i have a old laptop, a s-video cable, and i found a test pattern generator program from the internet,if i where to connect it all up, even though s-video would be fuzzy (as it always is when connecting a computer to a tv through s-video) would it still be useful?

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Ya that would help.

I checked the photos. Photo's are not focused but from the looks of it only one gun has purity magnets.

But one more thing puzzles me.
Did you take out the complete gun assy out to clean them and did you loosen anything inside.

If YES, u done a very bad thing. I wouldn't do it if I had no choice.
If this is the case ur problem lies in ur re-assembly. U need to align them properly.
Other than that there is no other way.
You have to have the picture to align them. Be careful. I dunno what else to say.

aouate3

Joined Apr 17, 2011
when i cleaned them, i disconnected all the cables from the circuit boards and crt tubes, pulled out the try with all the circuit boards, and then removed the screws holding in the metal mounting frame that the crt tubes mount on, then i removed the whole frame, with all three CRTs still in place, i followed the instructions i found on the internet, so i hope it didnt mess anything up, i was very careful not to damage anything.

Also, was it the green gun that had the purity magnets by any chance?

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I need to see the three guns clearly to tell u. Get me some focused pictures of the tube.
you should take the picture such that I should see the neck board to the deflection coil.

Try it once more. Remove the frame and check for movement. This shud be easy. You can see dust cleared from any moved metal parts. Any misalignment can be seen clearly as the set is old and was in use for a long time. something like scratch or mount marks or some thing

aouate3

Joined Apr 17, 2011
here are the pictures of tubes http://img219.imageshack.us/g/1006875.jpg/

also i attached a picture of the screen when i am displaying the test software screen being sent to the tv from my computer, this is one of several image, but this is a good test image to show the severity of the mis-alignment

also here is a video i posted to youtube, i recorded this using my webcam so its not that good of quality, but it shows how bad the green is off, and also the auto focus, it seems to skip the green tube..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0lcXMkG-8w

i also checked the inside, everything seemed to be fine, i looked everywhere on the green tube to find something wrong or misaligned, nothing.. could a loose connection somewhere cause this?

Attachments

Last edited:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
U not only have green alignment problem, all the guns are out of alignment

I have marked the pictures

See the squares.
The rings can be rotated once the guard ring is loosened, it is screw type ring which hold the magnets in place.
The white glue can be used to center the magnets as before. Look closely at it and align the glue properly. From the looks of it, I see a bit of misalignment.

As for the pots, see the guide to find out whether they are screen and focus, I cannot make out the marking. Sometimes these are used for static convergence alignment. You could see the glue to properly adjust them. turn them slowly. Keep in mind to align the white stuff. they help a lot.

Attachments

aouate3

Joined Apr 17, 2011
adjusting the focus block didnt change anything, i will try adjusting the tube part

</edit>

i checked to see if the purity magnets are lined up, and the white glue seems to be all lined up, Do you think that maybe a loose wire or broken wire could cause this? or maybe even a circuit board that could potentially be causeing this?

the tv's picture is so amazingly clear when i cover the green tube, if it wasnt for the lack of green coloring, it would be absolutely perfect

<edit>

Last edited:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
There is dynamic convergence circuitry. But I do not think you can fix that. It is likely that sparking could kill a transistor or two. The Velocity modulation or the "VM" circuitry is mounted near the deflection or sometimes with in the deflection coil mount. There is a likely chance tht this circuit is fried, it is a HV circuit, uses the B+ voltage to modulate the beam.

I need to see the shcema.

aouate3

Joined Apr 17, 2011
i am good with circuitry, if i can find out whats wrong, i can most likely fix it, i am uploading the service manual to mediafire, and i will post the link when its done uploading, the schematic is in the manual

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Then u got to send me the schema...I need to see it to find the test points.
attach it to my hotmail. I have trouble with most of the sites.

aouate3

Joined Apr 17, 2011
i believe the service manual is around 20mb, too large to email, but i did upload it to mediafire, if you have problems with it, i can upload it to another hosting site

</edit> i have removed the link <edit>

Last edited:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
In the manual, page 145 to 150.

The ZR,ZB & ZG. These are mounted on the deflection yolks. Check the sparked tube board.

In it the VM, indicates the Velocity Modulator. Check if any transistor is faulty. First do a power off, HV discharged, in circuit short per the circuit diagram. To do a an out of circuit test you have to remove it. Do this as the last resort. If you suspect a faulty component.

As I see they are plain transistors, shud be pretty easy and check them diodes too.

After that we can go on to the next step.

{ed}
Tell me did you loosen any deflection yolk to clean the tube ?

aouate3

Joined Apr 17, 2011
ok, on the blue tube, i did remove the deflection yoke, but i marked it with a sharpie so i installed it back the way it came out, i didnt remove or adjust anything on the green tube, but im going to check out the circuitry on it