Sony KP-53S65 rear projection capacitor identification

BobinMI

Joined May 16, 2009
I have a Sony KP-53S65 rear projection TV.
A small 2KV Capacitor (High voltage) near the High voltage tower on the power supply board (Location C514 looking at the face of the board) has burned badly and I cannot read it it could be a 1K but I am not sure...

G BOARD part #A-1316-379-A

Also when installing is there current flow direction to be maintained?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
At that voltage, it is probably a ceramic disk. You can always try a 1000 pF 2 KV disk in its place. I had an amp where the decoupling disk caps blew up. You might look for more of the same, and replace them all at the same time.

DonQ

Joined May 6, 2009
...and it is almost certainly non-polarized (installing either way would work). It would help if you could post a picture.

It's very possible that the 1K could actually be the last part of ##1K, with ## being the numbers telling you the digits of the capacitors value, and 1 telling you the number of zeros following the value (e.g. 331 meaning 330 picoFarads).

Pictures would help tell if it is a ceramic (probably a non-critical value component), or some other more precise valued component.

LoveShack

Joined Oct 12, 2009
Hello,

I had the same problem with my Sony KP53S65. After the pop and the video drained I smelled the burnt smell. A quick call to the local TV service station resulted in a preliminary quote of $300-$400. I'm not sure my TV is worth that anymore. So, I figured if it was going to be fixed, I would have to do it myself. Upon opening the back of my tv, I was able to immediately see which capacitor was fried. After a little bit of time and reading online about how to avoid being shocked, I was confident enough to slide the board out (had to disconnect several of the wires). I confirmed it was the C514 socket and called up Sony. They told me it was a 390pF 2KV capacitor. I was able to read the writing on my fried capacitor HR R 102k 2KV CM82. From my quick online research, I felt that this capacitor was a 1,000pF (rather than the 390pF sony claimed). However, i went ahead and ordered the Sony recommended capacitor for $2.95 plus shipping ($8 for 2day).
As you can see from the pictures I've attached, the one from Sony was considerably smaller in size. I went ahead and soldered it in though and sure enough, my TV now works.

I do have a question though for anyone that knows. I think my picture may not be quite as crisp as it was beforehand. The colors are more vivid, but i'm sure that's because I cleaned off the lenses and mirror within my TV. It's definitely not a fuzzy or blurry picture, but I think it might lack some of the sharpness it had before. So, my question is, does anyone know if putting a 390pF rather than a 1000pF would make a difference in sharpness, or if I'm just imagining it?
Also, does anyone have any idea why my board would have a capacitor that is different than the Sony service manuals think it should have?

Thanks for any help, and I hope the info I'm posting here is help to someone else as many other posts have helped me out.

(((PLEASE SEE ATTACHMENTS FOR DETAILED PICTURES OF FRIED CAPCITOR, LOCATION, AND SONY REPLACEMENT CAPACITOR COMPARISON)))

Attachments

dude, thank you for your time and research. same problem here on the same t.v. that was free. it was black fried looking. you just made my day bro. thanks again for everything.

Just wanted to say thanks to all the folks who posted about this Sony tv issue. I ordered a new capacitor ( it was indeed the C514!) and have installed it now and couldn't be happier!! This old t.v. was worth the $o.48 I spent on the capacitor instead of the $ 350---400 the repairman wanted just to dust it out and troubleshoot. Three people have commented on how much crisper and better the picture seems to be now too. :D

joemuk

Joined Jan 28, 2012
Just wanted to add my gratitude to all those helpful folks who posted on this site, particularly LoveShack and the pictures he or she posted. I got the TV basically for free for doing some handyman work. It was too big for my small house so I gave it to my 82 year old father. He really loved it and got used to the large screen. I don't think he couldv'e gone back to a smaller screen. I ordered a couple of the capacitors........and $16 later Pops got a new TV (actually the same one he's used to)! And I looked like a genius in the process!!! I did indeed give KUDOS to you guys on this site. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

This is probably the most direct answer I have ever found online: In four consecutive posts at the top of one thread, I know just about everything I need to know about my identical issue. Thank you for being a good group of folks who know how to document well.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hello,

I had the same problem with my Sony KP53S65. After the pop and the video drained I smelled the burnt smell. A quick call to the local TV service station resulted in a preliminary quote of $300-$400. I'm not sure my TV is worth that anymore. So, I figured if it was going to be fixed, I would have to do it myself. Upon opening the back of my tv, I was able to immediately see which capacitor was fried. After a little bit of time and reading online about how to avoid being shocked, I was confident enough to slide the board out (had to disconnect several of the wires). I confirmed it was the C514 socket and called up Sony. They told me it was a 390pF 2KV capacitor. I was able to read the writing on my fried capacitor HR R 102k 2KV CM82. From my quick online research, I felt that this capacitor was a 1,000pF (rather than the 390pF sony claimed). However, i went ahead and ordered the Sony recommended capacitor for $2.95 plus shipping ($8 for 2day).
As you can see from the pictures I've attached, the one from Sony was considerably smaller in size. I went ahead and soldered it in though and sure enough, my TV now works.

I do have a question though for anyone that knows. I think my picture may not be quite as crisp as it was beforehand. The colors are more vivid, but i'm sure that's because I cleaned off the lenses and mirror within my TV. It's definitely not a fuzzy or blurry picture, but I think it might lack some of the sharpness it had before. So, my question is, does anyone know if putting a 390pF rather than a 1000pF would make a difference in sharpness, or if I'm just imagining it?
Also, does anyone have any idea why my board would have a capacitor that is different than the Sony service manuals think it should have?

Thanks for any help, and I hope the info I'm posting here is help to someone else as many other posts have helped me out.

(((PLEASE SEE ATTACHMENTS FOR DETAILED PICTURES OF FRIED CAPCITOR, LOCATION, AND SONY REPLACEMENT CAPACITOR COMPARISON)))
Clearly those pictures show a horizontal output stage - or at least the EHT generator section.

Most manufacturers use foil capacitors in that location, but not just any foil - it has to be the right type for high frequency, high voltage pulse operation.

The horizontal frequency of 15.625/15.750kHz (twice that on SVGA monitors) is just getting into the frequency range where disc ceramics start to get lossy - and at those power levels, develop hot spots.