Sony KDL 46S4100 no Pic no sound,has back-light steady green light help

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
Hi guys; i 've got this LCD SONY KDL46S4100 that i found on the streets and i'm trying save it from going to landfill,
i need your expertise,
the symptoms; powers up, has steady green led ,with back-lite on ,no pic or sound,already changed A board no change,
i have all supply volts, I tested power board i have at CN 301 the 12 V, 6.5 V, and 3.3 V, CN 302 stand by 3.3v,also
T-CON White fuse FP1 (3A) to the left of the LVDS connector CN1 i have the 12v.

i tested the CN1 plug per instructions see link bellow,when i pull in and out one side and wiggle it i had OSD and raster with grey pattern for a second, per tech advice see link bellow ,he says T-con is OK,i dont know, it seems like some thing is short,hope it's not the LCD,what you guys think, and can you please advice,i hate to send this set to the land fill.

http://www.justanswer.com/tv-repair/6s7ep-no-picture-sound-sony-lcd-46s4100.html

Attachments

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
I would start by checking all the voltage supplies on the G board, if the A board is ok then its a voltage or cable problem.

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
I would start by checking all the voltage supplies on the G board, if the A board is ok then its a voltage or cable problem.
Thanks Dodgydave; i don't know if A board is ok? i had it replaced,but this no sound situation when i connect a sound and video source,it does exactly same thing as the old board no sound no video,back-light on, i had checked most of the voltages but to make sure
i grabbed my laptop with Sony KDL 46S4100 schematic and checked most of the voltage points that i could check with my Fluke 87, and all components on the A board checked good, i fallowed the fault of no sound tree and it says check for 15V at CN1/pin 1 on A-Board a) 15V Present. Replace A-Board.

either A board that i got from Jimmy is faulty too or is a miss-mach for this model,i heard that most replacement A boards out there will not work with this LCD tv set,i'm going to try to get a refund.and i don't know if i'm going to trust any other a board dealer.

Last edited:

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
Update i removed Jimmy's A board and installed the old A board that came with tv and it does exact same thing,it has the 15v for sound and all the other voltages everything matches,changed HDMI cables same thing,
and with HDMI source connected and video playing i never had sound,i turned tv upright and at one time i had OSD and raster and i could change settings on OSD but at some movement it goes away,i don't have tv on stand i have tv laying flat on the table,when i move a little bit OSD or raster disappears, but when OSD or raster disappears i have turn off and back on and it's not always i get OSD it's just when the tv feels like, what a crazy fault,i think it Also could be T-con or LCD screen go figures.

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
Hi guys;i decided to order a T-con board,but in meanwhile i'm going to try to re-solder some points in the G board,can you please help me choose which of those points i should re-solder check bellow link of the board, can you please mark some points that could cause my issue,this is a shot in the dark but i have nothing to loose,
Also what kind of solder these boards use, free lead or regular lead?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-1-857-093-21-G-Board-Power-Supply-for-KDL-46S4100/191706598999?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20140602152332&meid=6c3b3dcb51814a5dab250515597d8521&pid=100011&rk=6&rkt=10&sd=371353169972

Attachments

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
Hi guys; update on my Sony i found out that FP1 on T-con board only had 11.60 volts on one side and .036v on the other side , my bad i should have done a better job checking the other side of the fuse, now i have changed FP1 with same amperage i had in my scrap boards, and put back jimmy's A board, since with the A board that came with tv i could get sound but no pic or OSD, i put Back A board that i bought from Jimmy's.com and now i get good Pic and sound , but i get this strip with colors vertically in the middle of screen, is this a bad panel?see pic attach. thanks.

Attachments

Last edited:

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
Hi guy; Update on KDL46S4100, i got the new T-con Board and installed same stripe on the screen,don't you think i'm screwed Panel is bad?now i have all good boards parts for this model and no screen panel?, what a bad luck.

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
Hi guys; Update on Sony Stripes on the LCD screen,i don't think this will make any difference but i'd like you opinion.
As i said with the frame on the stripe is larger , when i take off frame it gets thinner, but i learned in order for the stripe to get thinner i have to take off the frame and reboot TV or turn off and on TV,if i take frame off with TV on there is no effect on the larger stripe,
i'd like to here your take on this.
Also i measure all the caps and resistors on the the Panel assembly board,and on most of the R or caps i measure 3.3v, 7v,15v, or so on one side and the other side i get on most SMT components about 0.350 or so,.