Some questions about electric.

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
Okay,

Firstly,

How long does a 600V rated electrical wire can handle a 240 volts? Forever?

Secondly, does electrons (electric, or so) can kill microorganisms or not?:)

Thanks,
Lightfire

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Wire is rated for the maximum voltage is can safely handle, meaning keeping all the volts inside the insulator. As 240 < 600 is is being used with a safety margin.

Electricity can kill anything if the current flows thru that thing. There's a movie on youtube of Edison killing an elephant with the stuff.

Killing a microbe is easy, but you need very tiny probes to get the bug in the current path. And a microscope to insert these probes into the bug.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Okay, I definitely just answered this, but my post didn't come up :rolleyes:

Okay,

Firstly,

How long does a 600V rated electrical wire can handle a 240 volts? Forever?
The 600 volt rating is the maximum voltage that the insulation can "block" from passing into a hand or another object that comes in contact with it. As long as the insulation remains undamaged, it will be able to stand 240 volts indefinitely. Unfortunately, these insulating materials break down over time. The amount of time it takes to become unsafe depends on the environment, type of wire, insulation, application, etc.

Secondly, does electrons (electric, or so) can kill microorganisms or not?:)

Thanks,
Lightfire
Electrons do not kill--everything in the universe has them, along with protons and neutrons, which make up atoms. It is the FLOW of electrons (electricity) that can kill if the voltage and current is high enough to penetrate the organism.

Der Strom

Last edited:

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
Okay.

For example, a 100% pure silver. (Silver is the best conductor of an electricity, right). For example, this silver (100% pure) can handles about 240 volts. Is there any chance that this pure silver gets any broken (or something) (i wont mind even it is just a too small) if i have put a 120 volts there???

Thanks!

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
It does not matter what it is made of.

If it is RATED for a voltage, and you use a SMALLER voltage, you are not going to break anything.

You can have 1,000v rated wire and use a 9v battery with it if you wanted to.

The reason you wouldnt is because the higer the voltage rating, the more EXPENSIVE the wire.

So, standard 600v wire may be 20 cents a foot.

but 1000v wire will be 75 cents a foot

2000v wire will be 3 DOLLARS a foot

All will work with smaller voltages, but why pay for 2000 volt wire if you only need 12v wire?

AlexR

Joined Jan 16, 2008
Does this mean that a voltage above 600 volts will cause an insulation failure?
Yes it most certainly will!
Well, i guess the ability of a substance to act as an insulator doesn't depend upon the voltage rating.
But it most definitely does!
For example dry air is a very good insulator but apply a high enough voltage and you will get an arc across the air gap. The same is true for all insulators, apply enough voltage and they will break down.
The voltage rating affects the wire. If it exceeds 600V, the wire gets heated and thus burns the insulation, but even in that condition, the electric insulation is perfect nonetheless.
Wrong!
Its the amount of current that flows through a wire cause the heat not the voltage, however if the voltage exceeds the insulation specifications you can get an arc through the insulation that can cause the insulation to burn.

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
It does not matter what it is made of.

If it is RATED for a voltage, and you use a SMALLER voltage, you are not going to break anything.

You can have 1,000v rated wire and use a 9v battery with it if you wanted to.

The reason you wouldnt is because the higer the voltage rating, the more EXPENSIVE the wire.

So, standard 600v wire may be 20 cents a foot.

but 1000v wire will be 75 cents a foot

2000v wire will be 3 DOLLARS a foot

All will work with smaller voltages, but why pay for 2000 volt wire if you only need 12v wire?
Okay.

My question now is if current is possible to kill microorganisms. Is it possible or not?