some queries on Wifi module

sudil99

Joined Mar 9, 2012
My project needs to read some analog inputs and transfer it to computer via Wifi.
I searched for devices for that application and found RN-171

Now, I have some queries which I couldnt understand from the datasheet.

1. How do I connect this device to my computer to upload my program onto it?

2. It is said that it needs TX and RX connection. Does that mean it requires an external microcontroller to run it?

3. Is there any better alternative?

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
1. How do I connect this device to my computer to upload my program onto it?
This is not a programmable device. You send and receive serial data to/from it from some other programmable device such as a microcontroller or a PC.

2. It is said that it needs TX and RX connection. Does that mean it requires an external microcontroller to run it?
Yes. You might use the serial port from a PC but you also need a RS-232 converter. Sparkfun also sells these.

3. Is there any better alternative?
Unknown, your requirements for "better" are not stated. It's price seems inline with other modules I have seen.

sudil99

Joined Mar 9, 2012
Thankx for reply.
Yes. You might use the serial port from a PC but you also need a RS-232 converter. Sparkfun also sells these.
one more quesiton:
I need my device to be portable but it should be transferring the data it reads from ADC to computer in realtime via Wifi. So I can't connect it to PC with RS232 while operating. In that case how does it work?

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
For the portable side you'd need a microcontroller reading the sensor's output via an ADC, collecting the data and shoving it thru the wifi interface board.

Then the home base PC needs it's own wifi to receive the data.

Having never done a wifi app I can't get any more detailed then that.