Some Help with Nimh Battery charger

MMH

Joined Feb 8, 2013
Hello everyone! I was Thinking of making a NIMH Charger. According to what i have heard, i need an IC. Which one will be best- LM317, MAX712 or MAX713 or any other?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
Which one is best depends on your requirements. I would not use a LM317 - it is a linear regulator and not intended to charge a battery.

MMH

Joined Feb 8, 2013
Thanks for answering. I have read it and now know a lot more about NIMH battery charging. is Max712 better (for Nimh) or 713? Will they be able to shift to trickle charge after they are fully charged? If they are not, which IC will be better? can i use 555 timers(I know i cant.)

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Thanks for answering. I have read it and now know a lot more about NIMH battery charging. is Max712 better (for Nimh) or 713? Will they be able to shift to trickle charge after they are fully charged? If they are not, which IC will be better? can i use 555 timers(I know i cant.)
This page will sum it up. http://www.maximintegrated.com/datasheet/index.mvp/id/1666
Linear or switch-mode operation, built-in termination algorithms, zero voltage slope (MAX712) Negative Voltage Slope (MAX713). Temperature and Timer Cutoffs.
We can not read the datasheets for you. It is better that you grasp the content of the datasheet then ask for help on specific problems. But yes I think both switch a low current Trickle-Charge Rate then done charging. The MAX712/713 is one of many charge control chips.

MMH

Joined Feb 8, 2013
Once again, thanks for answering.What does that RSense stand for(in the schematic)? Load-Isnt it optional? Cant I use an Electrolytic 1uF Cap? Cant I replace that Transistor with 2N3906? Whats a 5v+ stunt regulator? How much V and a Shall the Wall Cube produce for 1 batt-2.7v?

toffee_pie

Joined Oct 31, 2009
don't think you have the skills to make a charger, at the risk of doing some damage.

why so hell bent on a maxim ic? texas instruments are usually the leaders for these products and have some very concise technical documents.

Rsense is a sense resistor used to measure the current path across the circuit.