Solving for Vout of CMOS Inverter with parasitic resistance

Mary Kate

Joined Apr 14, 2015
Due to a manufacturing error, a parasitic resistance (Rp=9kohms) has appeared in the CMOS inverter of Figure 1. Find the output voltage when Vin=0V, verifying the region of operation of the device.
Given: Vdd=1.8V; kn'=100uA/V^2; kp'= 50uA/V^2; lambda=0 for both devices
Mp: Vt=-0.5; W/L=5/0.18
Mn: Vt=0.4; W/L=3/0.18

Attempts: I know NMOS must be in cutoff and that Imp = Imn = 0. PMOS is conducting because Vgs<Vt. I believe that PMOS is in saturation because Vds (which should be equal to zero) > Vgs-Vt (which is -1.8-(-0.5)=-1.3). I know that if the resistor was not there, Vout=Vdd, but I am very confused about how the resistance will change Vout. When I simulated the circuit it gave Vout a value of 1.2V, but I do not know how to solve for that.
Any help would be very appreciated!

Attachments

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
You said the device had a parasitic 9k resistance, so you have that resistor and the output load resistor.
The output load resistor is unspecified. I thought it was the resistor shown in the schematic, too. But it turns out that that IS the parasitic resistance, Rp, that the problem was talking about.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The output load resistor is unspecified. I thought it was the resistor shown in the schematic, too. But it turns out that that IS the parasitic resistance, Rp, that the problem was talking about.
You're right, I missed that. :oops:
So the output ON resistance has to be calculated from the given transistor parameters.