Water level in well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pushkar1

Joined Apr 5, 2021
If the water level in the well falls below a certain level, then the motor pump gets damaged, so the farmer always sees how much water is available in the well. If the water level in the well is too low, the farmer turns off the water pump.

It is painful for the farmer to monitor the water level in the well. Is there any sensor or technology that can be used to monitor the water level in the well so when the water level is low the pump will turn off automatically

welcome for any idea, advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
How deep is the well? What type of well? There are as mentioned float switches and also pressure sensors but the best method depends on the well.

Ron

Pushkar1

Joined Apr 5, 2021
How deep is the well? What type of well? There are as mentioned float switches and also pressure sensors but the best method depends on the well.
This well is an open pit of large diameter, which is 60 feet deep in the ground,

Float switch.
Will two float switches be used for this. One float switch has to be fixed at the top and the other at the bottom?

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
First thing that came to my mind, and I wouldn't know how to implement this, would be to use an ultrasonic distance measuring device. That distance can then be fed into a microprocessor that will determine if the water level is too deep. If so then it will shut the pump off.

Now, that's just what came to mind. I have no idea how hard or expensive such a thing would be, but I believe I've seen ultrasonic devices that plug into an Arduino or something similar. I also don't know if the rough walls of the well would send back false signals, or if you can adjust the sensitivity of the detector. I'm just tossing this into the ring to see where it might go.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I assume the pump is already activated by a pressure switch? So the float switch is simply a "run dry" safety switch to prevent the pump from starting on low water level. Ball float switches can be encased in PVC as a guide to prevent their activating rod from bending. Look up Square D float switches.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
This is another one of your "What ifs?" with not enough information just to waste our time and pick our brains.
Why don't you write a proper requirement specification, do some research and come up with one or more viable solutions. Then, if there are things that you can't find the answers for, ask us for help.
We have already spent a lot of our valuable time explaining to you how to manage a project. Now try putting it to some good use. You will learn far more by doing things yourself than by annoying your colleagues with endless annoying questions that you could find the answers for if you took the time.

old_beggar

Joined Jan 29, 2021
I'm assuming that there is already a system to turn the pump ON on demand, e.g. a pressure switch (like on boats/caravans)?
If so, the way to go is a normally open switch at the lowest safe (for the pump) level. When the level is above this, the switch becomes closed and the pump can operate as normal. The switch would be wired in series with the pressure switch.
Hope that helps.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Will two float switches be used for this. One float switch has to be fixed at the top and the other at the bottom?
Assuming you are only concerned about the water level being too low, then you only need one float switch.

How do the farmers measure the well water level?

Pushkar1

Joined Apr 5, 2021
This is another one of your "What ifs?" with not enough information just to waste our time and pick our brains.
Why don't you write a proper requirement specification, do some research and come up with one or more viable solutions. Then, if there are things that you can't find the answers for, ask us for help.
We have already spent a lot of our valuable time explaining to you how to manage a project. Now try putting it to some good use. You will learn far more by doing things yourself than by annoying your colleagues with endless annoying questions that you could find the answers for if you took the time.
I'm sorry if I'm wasting your time. I have tried my best to explain my problem well. I don't want to be a bother to anyone, I've reduced asking questions on the forum. I'm a little surprised that asking questions is being banned. I guess I'm just inexperienced in this area so I'm bothering members with my questions. I researched on internet about it before asking question but I didn't find any useful information related to it.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
If it's an open pit well as you describe and only clean water I would opt for just a simple float switch placed just above a level where your pump runs dry. I would, as mentioned, mount it on a piece of PVC pipe and run your wires up the PVC pipe. A Google of "float switch pipe mount" should get you started. If redundancy is important the use two as mentioned above. Less actually seeing things pretty open suggestions are as good as it gets.

Ron

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
I'm sorry if I'm wasting your time. I have tried my best to explain my problem well. I don't want to be a bother to anyone, I've reduced asking questions on the forum. I'm a little surprised that asking questions is being banned. I guess I'm just inexperienced in this area so I'm bothering members with my questions. I researched on internet about it before asking question but I didn't find any useful information related to it.
No one is banning you from asking questions. We encourage you to learn new things. Start using the knowledge we have already given you. If you took any notice of what we have already explained to you, then you know that you should define the whole requirement in detail and then present us with what you have done so far. Then you can ask specific questions without us having to waste our time by having to keep asking you for more details.
If you check the internet, you will find lots of different methods of measuring the depth of liquids. What did you find? It's up to you to decide which one best fits the requirements for this project. If you don't understand any spec sheets or technical details, that is the time to ask for help.

Hamlet

Joined Jun 10, 2015
https://www.amazon.com/BRODY-Float-...ly+closed+float+switch&qid=1638390079&sr=8-11

1638390185256.png

Can be set to either turn on, or turn off pump.

This one is for 120v, but you might need some other items for your project, like wire, heat shrink,
contactor, etc.

Go do a youtube search, lots of applications and solutions. I can't tell you any more without knowing the details: voltage, static water level, pump depth, type of pump, head, and so on.

If this is an open pit well, and you claim 60 feet diameter, then I'm guessing you are from India, Bangladesh, or maybe Pakistan?

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
It is painful for the farmer to monitor the water level in the well.
I had this problem. I use a float switch to turn the pump on/off as the water is high or low. It works very well. Mine looks like this. When the float hangs down like the picture the pump turns off. When the float is up the pump turns on. The length of wire sets the amount the water must rise and fall.
1638406807433.png
There is another type that knows when the pump sucks air. The pump goes off but the farmer must restart the pump. It is good that the pump does not die.

Hamlet

Joined Jun 10, 2015
There is another type that knows when the pump sucks air. The pump goes off but the farmer must restart the pump. It is good that the pump does not die.
Yeah, it's called a pumptec. It shuts down when the current suddenly decreases, an indication that the pump is sucking air. Mine never worked properly, no matter how I adjusted it. Might work better in a shallow well, 100' or less...?

1638407716719.png

https://www.amazon.com/FRANKLIN-ELECTRIC-Pumptec-water-protection/dp/B00T869ISW

k1ng 1337

Joined Sep 11, 2020
I wouldn't lose sleep over a users harsh reply. If a person really considers their time valuable then perhaps they should not be part of a forum. Some people are far more generous with their intellect and time than others and many view this forum as work not leisure. I have posted questions on this site and received similar responses and while I come here to avoid misinformation from a general google search I've found that doing my own research is often far more effective than shouting my question into the crowd.

On the other hand, you can't please everyone and there's always someone with something to say, and if they are right in their statement then it's likely they speak wisdom.

This is just my humble opinion on internet etiquette..

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I have indicated that asking many pointless questions can get him (or anybody else) banned.

Now I would say that it is pleasing to see him thinking his way further through questions and perhaps more importantly helping others with their questions -a significant step in a positive direction!

Pushkar1

Joined Apr 5, 2021
hi @Pushkar1
When have you been told, that asking questions is being banned.?

Moderation.
I just realized that I was banned for a day because of my questions. I was warned that if I did not ask questions about the real time project and asked about the imaging project, I would be given a short or permanent ban.

Text questioning Moderation actions, Deleted

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.