solve this question plz

munna007

Joined Jul 23, 2008
hello to all....

i m having some doubts in solution of this question....

what i know about this ckt is that this is pnp transistor. +9 volt is connected to emitter (where arrow made) and -9 volt is connected to collector.

i think voltage emitter Voltage Ve should be equal to +9 volt , because current source is not dropping any voltage . but in solution part its found something else i.e 1.68 ....

why is it ???? plz clear my doubt

Attachments

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
current source is not dropping any voltage
You are mistaken. The currrent source provides 1mA, regardless of the voltage across it. It does not have to be zero. In fact, the only way for the voltage across a current source to be zero is if it is paralleled by a zero ohm resistor (short circuit), or if (in this case) another 9V source were connected to the bottom end of it.

munna007

Joined Jul 23, 2008
or if (in this case) another 9V source were connected to the bottom end of it.

in above lines , do u mean that in this circuit current source is not droping any voltage ????

by connecting another + 9 v at other terminal ,current will not flow . but if we connect -9v then current wil flow. m i right ????

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
in above lines , do u mean that in this circuit current source is not droping any voltage ????

by connecting another + 9 v at other terminal ,current will not flow . but if we connect -9v then current wil flow. m i right ????
An ideal current source can deliver current through a short circuit across it.
However, that is not the issue here. You said
i think voltage emitter Voltage Ve should be equal to +9 volt , because current source is not dropping any voltage .
Maybe I should ask why you think the current source is not dropping any voltage.

munna007

Joined Jul 23, 2008
You said Maybe I should ask why you think the current source is not dropping any voltage.
i agree dear that current source has some voltage drop across it...

but the logic is not clear to me , i have never studied it in any book ????

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
i agree dear that current source has some voltage drop across it...

but the logic is not clear to me , i have never studied it in any book ????
A current source is the dual of a voltage source.
An ideal voltage source can maintain constant voltage, independent of the current through it.
An ideal current source can maintain constant current, independent of the voltage across it.