Solution to earthquake problem?

boriz

Joined Jul 16, 2009
This is my proposal to ‘manage’ earthquakes.Evacuate the quake zone. Pump sea-water into the fault. Set off several large explosions in the fault. Force an earthquake of predictable magnitude, releasing a measurable quantity of stress-energy.Geologists have a reasonable idea of how much stress there is in any particular fault. From that they can estimate how large the largest (likely) quake will be.So the local government agency decides upon an acceptable limit, based upon various local criteria, including building codes etc. Then, when the rock-stress-limit is reached, the local population is given sufficient warning / evacuated, then the quake is ‘forced’.This will need to be done maybe once every 20-200 years. Depending on location.Better than waiting for a Haiti-style disaster? (Ask the politicians)

iulian28ti

Joined Dec 4, 2009
Oh boy.... everyone is trying to save the planet these days !
Some try to kill CO2, others want to drop gellyfication dust on hurricanes, and some even want to deviate sunlight to cool the planet. I hope their butts freeze !

Yet, almost no one thinks of: resurrecting the forest, cleaning the oceans and rivers, and moving from the path of hurricanes, earthquakes and LAVA !

Well, the lava part was inspired by George Carlin, but the idea i wanna point out is that everyone tries to control nature, when nature is uncontrollable. These people are too lazy to move their butts so they ask other people to deviate hurricanes, build levees, and on and on.....

If you wanna help someone in a disaster zone, help him move his stuff and help him build another house. Help him with your bare hands, TAKE ACTION ! If you want to stop global warming, start planting some trees ! We have so few these days that i'm appalled when others ask themselves "Why is our climate changing and our air poisoning us?"

Forget donations and politics. Money are handled bad in general, and even worse in politics, the current situation of economy is proof. But if you honestly can't help someone else, then start helping yourself. You're no good to the planet or anyone else if you're a leech relying on other people to help you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
O

If you wanna help someone in a disaster zone, help him move his stuff and help him build another house. Help him with your bare hands, TAKE ACTION ! If you want to stop global warming, start planting some trees !
Because land isn't free, and in many parts of the world downright scarce?

I'm not sure what part of the world your in, so I may be restating what you already know. In the USA certain areas are declared flood plains. You can build on them, but insurers won't cover them (or any other flood damage for that matter). You want flood insurance, you buy it separately from the government, who charges according to risk.

As for the Hurricanes, might as well say don't build in earthquake zones, or tornado alley. The fact is hurricanes in particular hit some of the most desirable property everywhere, that being beach front, another limited land resource.

Better to design for them, and prosecute crooked contractors who cheat, much like they do earthquake zones. Speaking of earthquake zones, they basically cover a huge area of the world, everywhere. Trying to build in a totally safe location is basically an impossibility.

It isn't something I loose sleep over, but if the Yellowstone supervolcano ever goes off the USA is a thing of the past, it will eliminate all worries about man made ecological damage.

I tend to agree with you on the tree front, but something a lot of people miss is how little of the USA is settled. We have mega cities, but they don't cover as much area as some folks think.

iulian28ti

Joined Dec 4, 2009
Better to design for them, and prosecute crooked contractors who cheat, much like they do earthquake zones. Speaking of earthquake zones, they basically cover a huge area of the world, everywhere. Trying to build in a totally safe location is basically an impossibility.
Yeah, design is important, and some things just can't be avoided, which is why we must build things right and be prepared for disaster. Pretty much like in electronics. :D

Raikiri

Joined Mar 22, 2009
What a ridiculous idea, I have a far better one...

Build all communities and developed areas on a large plate mounted on dampers of some sort. Should take a while but if we start building them now, we might be ready for the next quake, illustration provided.

tannercollin655

Joined Jul 23, 2009
What a ridiculous idea, I have a far better one...

Build all communities and developed areas on a large plate mounted on dampers of some sort. Should take a while but if we start building them now, we might be ready for the next quake, illustration provided.

This is a great idea.. The only problem is that the city will still shake if there is any resonance..

I think we should take many blow dryers and hook them up to the bottom of the platform.

We can use Hooke's unpublished law regarding the lift needed:

F = -1 * ( Dogs + Cats + Humans + M(buildings) )

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
James Blish used it as the central device in a short story back in 1945. It later grew into 4 novels. The device "works" by establishing a field that enables the collective spin moment of all orbital electrons to be harnessed as a reactionless push.

He couldn't get really high speeds out of it, so he had to also "invent" an anti-ageing drug so the central characters could stay alive for the tens and hundreds of years to go from one place to another.

Almost forgot to mention that Blish was a medieval scholar, so he had the universe come to an end in 4004. Nicely symmetric with Bishop Ussher.

Last edited:

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Of course it's purely fiction. Science fiction is a literature that explores the "what if" aspect of life. What if someone could generate a field like that?