Solid state relay

rubicon99

Joined Apr 19, 2012
How do I breadboard this device. I know that I connect pin 1 to a ttl signal across a resistor, the second pin to ground the 4th pin to ground its the 5th and 6th pin i am confused about. One picture syas "DC" off the 5th pin and I thought I had to connect that to the power supply but another diagram has pin 6 connected to a voltage load and Vout. Where do I connect the power? Off a load to pin 6? Or. do I connect pin 5 to ground and pin 6t and 4 to pullups?

Attachments

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The control input is between pins 1 and 2 (positive to pin 1 with a series resistor).

The load goes in series with pins 6 and 4 tied together (plus) and 5 (minus). (See diagram on page 4 of the data sheet). It makes no difference the order you in which you place the load, power, and switch as long as they are all in series and the switch polarity is correct.

For example you could do +Power--load--pins 6 & 4--pin 5--ground, but any order will work.

rubicon99

Joined Apr 19, 2012
Thanks, it worked... but if you attach a load to ground from the output it'll act like a voltage divider... anyway I can get around that?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Thanks, it worked... but if you attach a load to ground from the output it'll act like a voltage divider... anyway I can get around that?
Since the output is floating and isolated from the input it makes no difference whether the load is in the drain or source, the transistor is still fully turned on or off, and acts simply as a switch in series with the load (with a small amount of ON resistance, of course).

rubicon99

Joined Apr 19, 2012
I must be doing something wrong then. When I apply voltage to the input I get zero volts at the output and when I send 0 volts I get a power coming off of the output.... I have pins 4 and 6 tied together and then sent to a pull up to power, pin 5 is going to and pin 2 going to ground. Its not acting the way it should

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
I must be doing something wrong then. When I apply voltage to the input I get zero volts at the output and when I send 0 volts I get a power coming off of the output.... I have pins 4 and 6 tied together and then sent to a pull up to power, pin 5 is going to and pin 2 going to ground. Its not acting the way it should
You might want to post a schematic of how you have wired things up. It would help.

Ken

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
It is acting properly. The output transistor is turning on when the is input high, and conducting current through the pull up load (power on), which gives zero volts at the output to ground, as it should.

The way your are measuring the output voltage, it will indeed look like a voltage inverter.

rubicon99

Joined Apr 19, 2012
Since the output is floating and isolated from the input it makes no difference whether the load is in the drain or source, the transistor is still fully turned on or off, and acts simply as a switch in series with the load (with a small amount of ON resistance, of course).
So I can attach the load to ground and get the same result? But then I guess I would have to connect pin 5 to power, right?