Solid State Drives

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Local store is offering OCZ Onyx 32 GB at $50. Do these drives ever fail? Does anyone have any real experience using them as permanent backup devices?

BTW, Hitachi 1 TB drives are $50 too. That's a nice drop from last year. But my main interest is in a really secure backup.

John

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Local store is offering OCZ Onyx 32 GB at $50. Do these drives ever fail? Does anyone have any real experience using them as permanent backup devices?

BTW, Hitachi 1 TB drives are $50 too. That's a nice drop from last year. But my main interest is in a really secure backup.

John
Neither SSDs or HDDs have high failure rates. SSDs on average last longer, but you're talking about tens of years for each. For example, one Hitachi 1 TB HDD is the Deskstar 7K1000, which is rated for 50k load/unload cycles - basicially, turning on and off your computer 50,000 times. Just remember to keep backups of important stuff on secondary media.

If I were to use a 32GB SSD, I would put the OS+applications on it, and the documents on the 1TB HDD. This would give the advantage of high speed for the OS and a relatively low cost implementation. This is easy with Linux, but I'm not sure how other operating systems do it, if they can.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
To prevent hacking and malware infection. The computers used for digital cinema playback are linux based and hold the OS on special, read only, SD flash card. Should anything ever get in(would have to be hand uploaded), a reboot puts everything back to original condition.

Well to be honest, this only applies to one company for sure(Christie). I'm not aware of the OS used by other Digital cinema equipment providers. Also the ground work for a company wide distribution intranet was being started at the time, so it is possible those players are now networked over the Cinemark and AMC theatre chains internal servers. Not a VPN, but a hard wired connection between all facilities.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
I'm not sure how my previous post ended up in this topic.

I intended to post it in the malware/virus thread going on now.