Solenoid shoot bolts 101 info requires

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
Hi guys

I need to do some gerenal investigation about solenoid shoot bolts, from suppliers to design tips etc... eg do you know a good supplier? do you know a common mistake for a new comer like me could make? any good/bad experience you want like to share? or any "I told you so" that someone have told you.

It will be really appreciated if you anything to share, thanks guys! :)

This post here already gave me a good start:
  • design for emergency exixt, eg in case of fire
  • design for power loss
edit:
I am mainly insteresting in the one that shoot into the floor to lock a gate/door type :)

Last edited:

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

A lot of laboratories where I come use these locks, to prevent unwanted people to enter the lab.
The locks can be unarmed by a RFID card on the reader.
The reader sends an OK signal to the power supply of the lock to set it off (momentary).

Bertus

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
Hello,

A lot of laboratories where I come use these locks, to prevent unwanted people to enter the lab.
The locks can be unarmed by a RFID card on the reader.
The reader sends an OK signal to the power supply of the lock to set it off (momentary).

Bertus
Hi Bertus,

I am still confused, so does it lock the place like shoot bolts, or does it lock the place with a strong electromagetic force only?

Sorry if my question is stupid, I honest know nothing about electromachenic shoot bolt or electromagetic lock.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

As long as the lock is powered, you can not open the door.
When the power to the lock is removed, the door can be opened.
It is the electromagnetic force that hold the door.

Bertus

gootee

Joined Apr 24, 2007
Well, in ours, there is a metal latch, just like a regular door. But the door handle cannot be turned unless the electromagnetic mechanism FREES the door handle mechanism, i.e. it temporarily unlocks the door.

That's how it seems like it works in my building, at least. If power is lost, and stays out, and the badge-reader and door-unlock-mechanism backup batteries eventually fail, then we can no longer enter any of our protected spaces by using the badge readers. i.e. Without power, by default the doors are locked (but they are always openable from the inside, to get out).

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Did you see this on the wiki page:

Application modes

For safety purposes, electric locks can be designed to operate in one of two modes:

Fail-Safe – to protect people: The lock is released if power cuts off.
Fail-Secure – to protect property: The lock remains closed if power cuts off.
An electromagnet lock is normally used in Fail-Safe situations, so it must satisfy applicable fire regulations so as to be safe in emergency situations.

The lock plate I mentioned will be fail-safe.
The locking mechanism mentioned by gootee will be fail-secure.

Bertus

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
Hello,

Did you see this on the wiki page:
The lock plate I mentioned will be fail-safe.
The locking mechanism mentioned by gootee will be fail-secure.
Bertus
Hi Bertus,

I have read though the wiki page, and I am aware of those two type of locking mechanism, thanks you for kindly reminding me again, it's appreciated! :)

please keep the info coming, if anyone has something to share, thanks

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I always thought that elctro-magnetic locks were opened when the electric was applied. If they were locked only when energized wouldn't they tend to heat up?

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I haven't seen a door that uses the solenoid actuator itself for the locking mechanism. They are too fragile, somebody beating on door trying to break in could bend the solenoid, making it not work for anybody.

The most common doors I've seen in secure areas are "Airlock" type setups, 2 doors, both are locked with standard deadbolts. The lock/unlock is performed by the door frame itself, allowing the deadbolt plate to "pivot" out when power is applied.

When you identify yourself, (RFID, other person inside, fingerprint, etc), Power is applied for a short time to the plate, releasing deadbolt #1, only one person can enter, second door opens once it is verified first door is closed, only one person is in the "lock", and the ID process happens again (usually a separate ID form than first door, so hacking is harder without knowing how the inside door works after inspecting the outside door.

Once the second door is closed and the "airlock" is empty, the outside door is again available for another person to pass through.

In less secure areas, the second door is the same, but is automatically unlocked for 5 seconds as soon as the outside door is closed.

For homes and such, systems can use a solenoid to lock the door handle mechanism itself, or the higher priced units use a similar lock plate on the frame. The reasons for having the electronics in the frame are many, while the reasons for having the electronics in the door are mostly for simplicity/DIY and not any more secure than a standard key lock.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
The lock with the solenoid is a doorstrike

http://www.wrhardware.com/door-hard...kes/hes-5000-series-electric-door-strike.html

They can be had in both configurations, apply power to unlock, or remove power to unlock.
A mag lock however only has one way to operate, power on, door locked. The smallest mag lock I ever installed had 1200 lbs of holding power and drew just a few ma. at 12 volts. on any public building you cannot create 'mantraps' that cannot be overidden by the fire alarm. In other words, you can lock them out, but you cannot lock them in.

here's more http://shop.peiferlock.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=294_453&gclid=CMDE4MKbyLUCFShgMgodFT0A9A