Solenoid Pendulum Problems

Derek Ogbourne

Joined Sep 20, 2013
Bernard, Well, the device does work now, the extra pulley has reduced the load on the pins. Just have to position SW 2 into the structure and get the fall to move faster (with less friction).

Derek Ogbourne

Joined Sep 20, 2013
I am ready for the last of my machines and i think the it is the most tricky. This time i want to lift a bigger, larger weight and release it every hour then have this working continuously. Again i have built the mechanism: It consists of 3, 12 volt geared motors 1:810 (the same type as the last machine) 2 of which facing in opposite direction are located on an aluminium base plate, these motors move forwards (physically) to engaged 2 encased bevel gears assemblies and move backwards to disengage the bevel gears assemblies. The motors are moved backwards and forwards by a further 12v 1:810 motor located under the wooden top.

When the motors engage the weight is lifted by 4 pulley wheels to the top of the 1 metre high structure then released (disengaged) and the weight falls back to the ground... One hour later the same operation repeats.

I need a simple circuit to make this happen.

I have attached some images of the current structure

My initial idea was to have the 2 sliding motors continually running then after an hour the lower motor reverses and engages the gears then switches to polarity (forwards) to disengage. this idea is ok but i would prefer the motors to be off for the hour then start up and run through the lifting and releasing.

Attachments

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Derek, you will find some comments on your project on another post, Over water---, lost the name , just a senior, senior moment, guess 87 years is catching up with me.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Check last page of the post, Overwater timer for center pivot irrigation, by djreiswig, just a few posts down.
I'll ink the drawing & see if a friend can send it.

Derek Ogbourne

Joined Sep 20, 2013
Thank you for that djs, Bernard sorry to hear you have problems with you getting the circuit diagram to me, this would be clearer for me as you know still my knowledge of electronics is still wanting.

Derek Ogbourne

Joined Sep 20, 2013
Great thanks again Bernard, Yes this is a difficult one for me. I am alright with the resistors, capacitors, diodes, 555 IC,s, motors, variable resistor (although i did make mistake last time with that one).
So many switches 4 of them, SW-E, D and F. is the start one the main on off switch?

there are 2 Relays what type value are these? I imagine not the same as before?

What is U3? The fet... which way round?

I tend to copy the circuit exactly which makes it difficult for me with iIC,s

I will buy the components tomorrow and see.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Start SW just incase that it does not self start., not on-off power.
Just one relay, contacts just seperated a bit from coil, need double pole, double throw.
FET , N ch around 50V or higher, about 5A, or you can use a relay at aditional cost.
D-1, 1N4148 or similar.
It's a start at least.
Nice wood work & mechanical.

Derek Ogbourne

Joined Sep 20, 2013
Thank you, i have totally finish the first one, The Pendulum... will take photo and maybe a vid.

...This is complicated, the circuit i mean, there may be a number of questions for you before i finish and get it going...

first i have to get the components..

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Not sure what a throne is but naxt to D-1 on left is motor B, on right is relay coil, just one relay as noted in # 114.
Diodes can be the same as you used before, 1N4001, reverse leakage might be a little higher than 1N4148 but as measured with a 1N4002, about 18 meg Ω, so not a problem
You usrd a IRF530 FET before & is fine for this dropper. Note that FET symbel shows a P ch & should be N ch as stated.
Keep questions coming till we get it right.

Derek Ogbourne

Joined Sep 20, 2013
'The one' i think i meant i thought the symbol was for a solenoid.

'P ch & should be N ch as stated' i don't understand this and how it is related to the symbol you have drawn.

Got the components, there was a little confusion in the shop as some values/components are different here - Cricklewood Electronics.

Thanks for my modified drawing with the switches , that is very helpful.

I hope to start the circuit soon but have some teaching to do and i was told today that i have to move studio (from the basement to the third floor by the 1st of August ) I have a lot to move including these heavy oak objects.

I am not sure where to begin on the circuit.... The IC's? or the power + and - ?