Solenoid Pendulum Problems

Derek Ogbourne

Joined Sep 20, 2013
Thank you Bernard, The first one is not so clear what components go where, can you compliment your drawing with one more that is a little clearer what goes where?

Thank you ...remember i am still a novice ... ;-)

Was making the mechanism today , had to teach this evening so i dint quite have time to put a meter on that OSI i have

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Something did not look right with the long swing inhibit, finally realized that U4-A was reset on wrong edge of the clock so hopefully it is corrected. Now a 2 input NAND gate could be used, giving 2 spares.
Are you planning to use stripboard ? If so I'll correct the layout.Pendulum CB-3 00000.jpg

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Big dots are strip cuts, except 9-27, C2. Orange lines show resistor, 1/4 W, locations. Green boxes are IC's, U4A on top, pin 1 at 8-10, & 8-22. C3 lead spacing unknown, so allowed .5 in. I don't like parts on top of jumpers but there they are- under R6, add insulation, & FET source to ground- insulate.
Would be a good idea to compare print to board layout.Pendulum CB-4 00000.jpg

Derek Ogbourne

Joined Sep 20, 2013
That is much clearer, thank you Bernard
Today continued with the mechanical bit and put my meter across the pins of the sensor the readout in Ohms was between 2.3 and 0.6M , does that sound right?
I am now going to order some 10mm bore bearings for the axil of the pendulum
I will print out all our communications and follow carefully your notes and circuit diagrams

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
If your ohmmeters red lead is +, then the low reading might be the LED, red to anode, black to cathode, but where are the other two leads ? Could you see any sign of color when measuring ?

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
On OSI, two pins give low reading, the + lead is on the LED anode. Connect a resistor of 600 to 700 ohms from anode to + 12V, - to cathode. You see no red light-- good, it probably IR LED. Connect ohmmeter to other pair;
one direction will read almost 0 ohms, reverse direction might read something. With 0 connection, block the slot, reading should go high, + lead is on collector. Pins should fit on stripboard ?

Derek Ogbourne

Joined Sep 20, 2013
Hi Bernard

Sorry been busy this week doing other stuff. Got the beings through this morning, going to use aluminium hollow square section bars for the pendulum arms

been trying to figure out :

On OSI, two pins give low reading, the + lead is on the LED anode. Connect a resistor of 600 to 700 ohms from anode to + 12V, - to cathode. You see no red light-- good, it probably IR LED. Connect ohmmeter to other pair;

Can you do a little drawing of the polarity with the power and the resistor ?

I have identified the emitter and detector + and -

All the best

Derek

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Hope this helps. If you have a 5 V supply, could use 300 ohm R & if you guess wrong, might not destroy sensor. Other drawing is possible mounting for OSI's. Pendulum CB-5 00000.jpg

Derek Ogbourne

Joined Sep 20, 2013
I am totally lost ... i dont know what a G80t is , a resistor ? variable resister. I dont have a 5v supply 6v maybe or 4.5.

Maybe this project is too difficult for me.
I haven't started making yet because i have been busy teaching and waiting for the bearings. i have time to tomorrow to make experiment.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
The thing that looks like G 80 t is a resistor of 680 ohms or 620 to 750. Maybe my vision was off a bit as I had cataract surgery on rt. eye yesterday morning.
If power supply is 6 V try 320 ohms, if 4.5 try 220 ohms.
There is a good chance that your RSI's have the same printout as Cricklewood RA138.
Hang in there, it's only 2 IC's & RSI's.

Derek Ogbourne

Joined Sep 20, 2013
Hi Bernard,

I Am unable to work on this project the past couple of weeks due to me waiting to be relocated to a new studio which means I will have to put the circuit on hold for now. I will get back to you when I am up and running which I hope you are. They are looking to June for the relocation, so crossed fingers there.
Until then all the best

Derek