Solenoid Pendulum Problems

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
I had no luck in tracing that number. If you have an analog ohm meter that uses a 6V to 9V battery
on high ohm scale the leads on the OSI can be identified. If one pair reads open in one direction & around 10k reversed, that is the LED; other pair might read almost open either way, that is transistor.
If 10.1 is cm should be fine. I would reinforce the area around connecting rod attachment.

Derek Ogbourne

Joined Sep 20, 2013
Hi Bernard,

Went to get the items on your list and the guy was very rude to me saying he didn't understand it a , i was pissed off because i have been to that shop and spent a lot over the years

He didn't understand the .30 after # CD4013 on your list below, he asked me if it was 30 of them
same with # 1N4002, .05 the .05 he said it doesn't exist.

I am not sure what he meant, do you?

# CD4013, .30

# CD4023, .50

The FET that you used before or # BUZ11, 1.50

10uF @ 50 V, #10Y50, .10

.1uF @ 63 V, # CPB100N, .08

If necessary, OSI is # RA138, 3.50

# 1N4002, .05

# 1N4148, .06

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
I could have used a $, or may L or # for pound, but thought it was self evident. It is the cost of each item. Have a good visit.

Derek Ogbourne

Joined Sep 20, 2013
It was the number after he didn't understand not the #. Do you mean the number after is the price so .30 after # CD4013 means 30 cents?
I think he was being rate because i wasn't going to spend a lot , he said I was wasting his time.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Wow! , nice job. No spring or clip, just a dab of epoxy or equiv. to hold plunger together.
Does plunger slide easily in solenoid? Might connect to 12 V & see how far out the plunger
can be & still have reasonable force, maybe around 15 mm ?; will determine how wide the slot
is in disc.
If there is concern about friction of plunger in solenoid, the solenoid could be mounted vertically
with a right angle extension on pend. ??

Derek Ogbourne

Joined Sep 20, 2013
Thank you Bernard, I am good at making and mechanics part but just not the electronics. Yes the plunger was the old one so yes it slides smoothly in and out. So the plunger is free moving ? in the coil with the armature attached at one end the whole thing being fixed and both ends (i will design the contraption to be very adjustable). If I get all the angles right it should work like a piston on a steam engine. I will test with 12 v tomorrow to see how far it will shoot/move.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Sounds good. Maybe a power stroke of 2 cm. Remember that we do not want any power after plunger is
all the way in or we get strong reverse thrust.

Derek Ogbourne

Joined Sep 20, 2013
ok,i will keep that in mind. Now i am looking at your circuit and figuring out how to make it, maybe I will etch one out , it looks really complicated , how do you do it with the tracks.? Can you draw out a simple tracking system i could etch out? maybe this is to bigger ask of you?

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
" with the tracks " ?? Does this refer to stripboard ? I have little experience with it. If I had to build it, would
probably be wire wrap, WW, sockets & WW wire on a Cricklewood stripboard PN CQ25. Or dead bug with WW wire, unless I could buy a PC board like Datak 12-617B.

Derek Ogbourne

Joined Sep 20, 2013
I dont know how to organise the board if i used your method , i would do it literally and i think i would get in a mess as the circuit you have designed looks fiddly and complicated.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Have you identified the leads the OSI's. For one, use a 500 ohm R on diode side with 12 V supply. If it shows red, can you protect it from ambient light? Connected as U3, what is the lowest value of R4 that will give 9V @ emitter ?, use this value for R2-3-4.
I would first try the circuit on a solderless breadboard , then because of availability, would use stripboard.

Derek Ogbourne

Joined Sep 20, 2013
I could not find the the OSI online that you suggested. I have not identified the leads yet.(will try and do it tomorrow) Like i said i have no idea how to lay out the circuit on a solder less breadboard or strip board as this circuit is difficult for me. the mechanical bit i love doing am am technically better at that , I will work on it tomorrow.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Here is a stab at a strip board layout of your circuit. Strips are on back side, ICs on top with pins 1 lower left, big block dots
are where strip is cut, by drill or strip cutter. Horizontal black lines are bare wire jumpers.
If your C3 lead spacing is greater than .1 in. there is up to 5 spaces available to the left.
FET is miss labeled, right to left, GDS. Watch for other errors.Pendulum CB 00001.jpg

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Here is my rendition of a mirror image showing strip cuttings. Missing is one at 7-2 until C3 lead spacing is known. & 3 added under FET.Pendulum CB-2 00000.jpg