Soldering to a Perfboard

dysnomia

Joined Jan 21, 2013
So, I'm working on a project and I ended up just buying a cheap perfboard from radio shack without the copper pads. I made do with what I had and managed to solder most of the components but I'm having a hard time with IC sockets. Their leads are so short that i have very little room to work with and soldering them almost feels like an impossible feat at this point.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to solder these, or should I just dismantle this and go get a perfboard with copper pads?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I have never had a problem with any kind of socket and perf boards. It could be the wire you are using. It might be too big.

I use wire wrap wire. I stick the wire down the hole between the leg and hole and then solder. Of course you would need to take into consideration what current you are working with.

dysnomia

Joined Jan 21, 2013
I have never had a problem with any kind of socket and perf boards. It could be the wire you are using. It might be too big.

I use wire wrap wire. I stick the wire down the hole between the leg and hole and then solder. Of course you would need to take into consideration what current you are working with.
Wait, so you shove the wire in the same hole that the IC Socket leg is in?

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Why do you use IC sockets? Most ICs are cheap.

Copperless perf board is a curiosity.

What do you call cheap? Small 5x7 boards cost me like 25 cents.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Perfboard w/copper for soldering
Perfboard w/o copper for Wire Wrap (bet most of the young guys don't even know what that is)

I will choose Wire wrapping over soldering on perfboards any day.. For some reason its like a lost art now. But its one of the easiest/most reliable connections you can make.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I prefer to use sockets. Less chance of damage during soldering. Much easier to take in and out of circuit to replace and / or test.

ICs aren't always cheap. Depending on the IC, it could cost upwards of $4.
I prefer SOIC adapters. Easy to remove an IC if neccessary. ICs are never damaged by soldering this is an urban legend.

I have put ICs on PCBs and baked them for many minutes. No damage.

Yes I used sockets, many years ago.

When I need a "socket" these days, I make one from a small PCB piece, and row headers.

OK yes GAL's need sockets but they are so out of fashion. And EPROMs. Yes I have GALs here and EPROMs (a few).

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I loved wire wrap. I worked on a production system that had both wire wrap and pcb the easiest to troubleshoot was wire wrap. I don't know if you can find the tool today. Don't know what happened to mine.