Soldering prototyping PCB boards?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
PNG is a compressed format, but it changes less over the long haul than any of the others (when talking color). GIF changes a lot (and occasionally adds unwanted textures) over a lot of edits and resaves, but both will drift. Just edits and resaves will cause PNG colors to subtly drift, which is not good if you write and do your own illustrations as I do. The problem is exasperated if you feed it through a web site such as this one. The problem is bad enough I keep pictures who integrity is important in ZIP format when storing it at this site.

For B&W I use GIF as the standard, and for color images PNG is my standard. JPG has the highest compression ratio, and it always fuzzes the image (not good). Try taking a look at B&W images saved in that format, color hides a lot of sins. Only BMP is guaranteed not to change a picture, but with no compression it isn't popular.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009

This why i prefer stripboard. Componets and wires on top side. Solder and stripes on the bottom side. No bird nest on the bottom side ;)

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010

This why i prefer stripboard. Componets and wires on top side. Solder and stripes on the bottom side. No bird nest on the bottom side ;)
I have never used stripboard, but I am going to try it. The layouts I have seen have been neat if a bit wasteful of space. Letting someone see the bottom of my prototypes is a little like letting them see the bottom of lots of other things...generally better avoided unless there's a real need. :D

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I have never used stripboard, but I am going to try it. The layouts I have seen have been neat if a bit wasteful of space. Letting someone see the bottom of my prototypes is a little like letting them see the bottom of lots of other things...generally better avoided unless there's a real need. :D
Indeed the bottom is for special occurrences, not like every time you bend over to pick up something:p. But before the mods start to moderate Let us stay on topic. Did you get my tips about free software, and curring tracks in post nr 5

Grayham

Joined May 18, 2010
I also noticed Multisim comes with Ultiboard. I had a quick look at it but seems like a much more complicated version of the free software you were mentioning.

Has anyone tried Ultiboard or recommends it?

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I have to add an obvious response to the OPs initial question.

If you can fit both leads in 1 hole, you do a bunch of good. You keep lead/trace/wire length to a minimum and reduce the amount of solder joints.

This it the kind of thing you want to do when dealing with higher speed stuff or even decoupling caps. The closer to the IC, the better. And this is about the closest you can get. It helps with a bunch of stuff.

If you are having boards made, or making them yourself, it cuts down on # of holes drilled and in turn, cuts down on cost.

Be sure to check the joint after soldering.

Attachments

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I also noticed Multisim comes with Ultiboard. I had a quick look at it but seems like a much more complicated version of the free software you were mentioning.
Has anyone tried Ultiboard or recommends it?
The tools I pointed to are what I will name hobbyist tool. Made to aid in breadboard/stripboard work. The Ultiboard looks more like a Ecad tool for making PCBs. Meant for more professional work.
Many members in this forum produce PCBs at home. But this require some knowledge and equipment. I think if you are a beginner you should stay on the stripboard level for a while. Then it comes to hobbyist electronics. I think it is important to take small steps. Many people have started on to complicated projects to soon. Then they have got disappointed, and lost the interest in electronics.

Last edited:

Grayham

Joined May 18, 2010
The tools I pointed to are what I will name hobbyist tool. Made to aid in breadboard/stripboard work. The Ultiboard looks more like a Ecad tool for making PCBs. Meant for more professional work.
Many members in this forum produce PCBs at home. But this require some knowledge and equipment. I think if you are a beginner you should stay on the stripboard level for a while. Then it comes to hobbyist electronics. I think it is important to take small steps. Many people have started on to complicated projects to soon. Then they have got disappointed, and lost the interest in electronics.
That's true, I have had no luck really with Ultiboard yet.