soldering male header pins to an lcd screen

u-will-neva-no

Joined Mar 22, 2011
Hi everyone, I need to buy some soldering wire to solder some male headers to my LCD screen (and also for general electronic stuff like soldering IC legs, resistors etc). What size should the solder wire be for the electronic projects mentioned above? Thank you!

I am with mcgyvr I use 0.032 60/40 Radioshack part no. 64-005E essentially the same thing.

Works great with my 15 watt "firestarter" radioshack brand soldering iron part no. 64-2051b I recommend extra tips, tinning cup, a heat sink, hemostats, stand (mine is just a piece of metal that keeps it off the table, and a sponge as well. Plenty of youtube how-to's for soldering.

Robert

u-will-neva-no

Joined Mar 22, 2011
I have another question. My sister has a weller solder iron, 100w and 240v. Would this be sufficient or is the 100w too high? I just want to make sure.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
I have another question. My sister has a weller solder iron, 100w and 240v. Would this be sufficient or is the 100w too high? I just want to make sure.
If you can get a proper tip for it then it should be ok. If it is unregulated, it will probably have different tips for different soldering temperatures.

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010

More watt doesn’t means it will be more hot, it’s just the capacity of how much heat can be transferred over an area with respect to time. For example the tip temperature of a 15 watt iron may be 375 to 400 °F and for a 100w iron may be the same but when you touch the tip to solder any part (solder joint) the 15 watt iron's tip will be cool down more quickly than 100 watts iron. Normally high wattage irons are needed for desoldering components and soldering larger joints.

Good Luck