Soldering Gun History

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
Good find..

8th grade, 1959. All I wanted for Christmas was a Weller soldering gun and thankfully my folks came through. The original disappeared while I was in the Navy but have owned at least one Weller gun most of my life. Presently have 3 of the silly things, 1 8200 and 2 D550's. Not something you want to solder surface mount chips with but they are hard to beat for a quick job tinning wires or soldering stuff large enough to handle the heat.

Back when we only dealt with tubes and large components a Weller gun was all you needed. I do really miss the simpler times.

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
I bet it's been 4-5 years since I brought out the soldering gun.
After reading that, it makes me want to go fire it up, just for old times sake.:D

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
I still have my Weller gun. I had previously owned a Wen gun.

This product apparently had a very short life. Wen started making the guns in 1951. Weller won a patent infringement case against them in 1954. They also won an appeal of that judgment in 1956. I'm assuming that Wen stopped manufacturing their guns about that time. I think I must have acquired mine in about 1955. It was a nice little gun, and, being smaller, was easier to use in tight spots. Unfortunately, mine did not survive being dropped on the concrete garage floor many years ago.:(

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
I used to have a Wen, too. Can you repair it?
My Wen broke like 50 or more years ago. I glued the case back together, and it still worked. Looked like hell, though. I can't remember why I finally got rid of it. I suspect it was because the tip burned out, and no replacements were available.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Bought in the '60s which means.. I'm. OLD. Still use it occasionally when a lot of heat is needed fast e.g. old terminal strips.

The other tip is for cutting plastics etc. The black stuff on the attached tip is when I didn't bother to change tips before cutting plastic, etc. The lightbulb is not standard. It came with a 222 with the focused lens. I liked this one better.

Attachments