Soldered breadboard that fits PCB mounting bosses of electronics enclosure?

AGrayson84

Joined Jan 4, 2018
Hello everyone! Newbie here, hailing from Maryland (United States). :)

I'm brand new to tinkering with micro-controllers, specifically with an Arduino at this time, so far. For a project I'm doing for myself, and perhaps for a friend, I am trying to build my own board to accommodate perhaps an ATmega328, along with a relay or two, and the bare essentials to make it function like an Arduino Nano. My goal is to fit everything into one enclosure, so my current thought was to find a soldered breadboard that will fit a specific enclosure that I was looking at, or hope that I can find another similar enclosure that can accommodate a soldered bread board.

I'll obviously need to have enough pins available to combine the one or two relays with the ATmega328, so I don't mind going a little larger than needed to allow for room for expandability in the future, too. I was looking at this enclosure, particularly: https://www.polycase.com/xr-34f

The above enclosure has PCB mounting bosses, but looking at the PDF for it I cannot determine the center-to-center spacing of the mounting bosses.

Would anyone happen to know if enclosures like this are specifically designed for custom PCB's only? Or are there some "off-the-shelf" soldered circuit boards that may fit this exact enclosure, or one very similar to it? This company offers a few more different sized enclosures with this similar design, so I'm really hoping I can find a soldered circuit board that I can work with for one of their enclosures.

Provided this project proves to serve its purpose effectively, I will likely attempt to use the couple of these that I'm building now as prototypes to something I will produce for a very small market. I haven't really considered just having a custom PCB created for this due to the likely large increase in cost, for something I would need to keep the costs low on in order to have reasonable margin in these if I were to start selling them. It would obviously save me some time to just solder in a few terminals and screw the custom PCB to the enclosure, versus soldering the terminals and cutting, stripping, and soldering wiring to form the circuits on the soldered bread board... I definitely understand that. I'm not too sure how reasonable a custom PCB will be for the price I'd likely sell these units for, so this is why, at least for now, I'd likely consider a soldered breadboard for this project. If anyone has any reason I should strongly consider the custom PCB route, I'm all ears and would definitely value your input!

I apologize for my first post being this lengthy and for my rambling.... just wanted to make sure I cover some bases on my potential goals here. Any solid help would be tremendously appreciated!! :)

-Andrew

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hello everyone! Newbie here, hailing from Maryland (United States). :)

I'm brand new to tinkering with micro-controllers, specifically with an Arduino at this time, so far. For a project I'm doing for myself, and perhaps for a friend, I am trying to build my own board to accommodate perhaps an ATmega328, along with a relay or two, and the bare essentials to make it function like an Arduino Nano. My goal is to fit everything into one enclosure, so my current thought was to find a soldered breadboard that will fit a specific enclosure that I was looking at, or hope that I can find another similar enclosure that can accommodate a soldered bread board.

I'll obviously need to have enough pins available to combine the one or two relays with the ATmega328, so I don't mind going a little larger than needed to allow for room for expandability in the future, too. I was looking at this enclosure, particularly: https://www.polycase.com/xr-34f

The above enclosure has PCB mounting bosses, but looking at the PDF for it I cannot determine the center-to-center spacing of the mounting bosses.

Would anyone happen to know if enclosures like this are specifically designed for custom PCB's only? Or are there some "off-the-shelf" soldered circuit boards that may fit this exact enclosure, or one very similar to it? This company offers a few more different sized enclosures with this similar design, so I'm really hoping I can find a soldered circuit board that I can work with for one of their enclosures.

Provided this project proves to serve its purpose effectively, I will likely attempt to use the couple of these that I'm building now as prototypes to something I will produce for a very small market. I haven't really considered just having a custom PCB created for this due to the likely large increase in cost, for something I would need to keep the costs low on in order to have reasonable margin in these if I were to start selling them. It would obviously save me some time to just solder in a few terminals and screw the custom PCB to the enclosure, versus soldering the terminals and cutting, stripping, and soldering wiring to form the circuits on the soldered bread board... I definitely understand that. I'm not too sure how reasonable a custom PCB will be for the price I'd likely sell these units for, so this is why, at least for now, I'd likely consider a soldered breadboard for this project. If anyone has any reason I should strongly consider the custom PCB route, I'm all ears and would definitely value your input!

I apologize for my first post being this lengthy and for my rambling.... just wanted to make sure I cover some bases on my potential goals here. Any solid help would be tremendously appreciated!! :)

-Andrew
The holes are (from spec page on link)
1.625" x 2 = 3.25"
1.063 x 2= 2.125"
BE224242-3149-4029-BAB3-F5F08DEF7703.jpeg

AGrayson84

Joined Jan 4, 2018
Thanks Gopher! I had read in the notes on the drawing, "UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED: DIMENSIONS ARE IN: INCHES", so I didn't even consider that those dimensions were in centimeters. :)

After further research it seems getting some custom PCBs produced won't be as costly as I expected, so I'll go that route and probably use one of those poly cases from the the same website once I get a prototype nailed down on a different board in a different enclosure.

For anyone interested in going a similar route as me, I found a company in Canada that has a decent sized proto board (https://www.bc-robotics.com/shop/1591b-proto-board/) and flanged enclosure (http://www.bc-robotics.com/shop/medium-flanged-enclosure-black/) for it. They sell a smaller proto board and enclosure too, but since I may be needed to add a couple relays to the board I opted for the larger board/enclosure to make sure I have enough room for everything while I tinker with the prototype. Couldn't really find anything like this here in the United States from the little bit of searching I did earlier, but I had some questions before ordering and BC-Robotics was helpful and friendly, so I place an order with them :)