Solder pads are lifting on me - what to do

bobbyrae

Joined May 14, 2009
I have experienced a couple of solder pads lifting up on me and they essentially got destroyed. Why is another story, I think, so here I will just ask if I am taking the right approach to dealing with the situation.

On the first on in the picture, I just stretched one lead up to the next good solder joint on the tracing.

On the second one, it was so far away that I could only use a wire. I have some wire that is solid, tinned, and insulated 20-gauge. The current at this point of the circuit will be very low because it is the first stage of a stereo amplifier.

What do you think? It seems like trying to fix the pads themselves would be way too hard and/or impossible.

Attachments

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
what kind of soldering tool you have there? are you sure you are not burning board?

are the parts seated properly so pads are lifted due mechanical forces like pressing on the component?

how old is the board?

bobbyrae

Joined May 14, 2009
what kind of soldering tool you have there? are you sure you are not burning board?

are the parts seated properly so pads are lifted due mechanical forces like pressing on the component?

how old is the board?
"Why is another story, I think, so here I will just ask if I am taking the right approach to dealing with the situation. "

chrisw1990

Joined Oct 22, 2011
lol iv done that, usually with surface mount tracks.. and were talking 0.3mm on my most recent design..
get a small scalpel.. scrape the green stuff away from where it would have connected, and solder it to that, looks like you spent too long with the iron on it.
those style tracks, where its a track, not a copper plane.. need to be delicate, im not saying touch it and bam.. just touch, pause.. engage.. oh wait thats rugby..
make sense?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
True. Repairing the pads is very difficult. Adding jumpers works fairly well. You are on the right track. Just like painting, 90% of good soldering is proper preparation. If you make everything clean and use the proper solder (which has flux inside it) you will have good results, quickly.