Votes: 1 50.0%
  • not use an inverter

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • forget that, there are much better solutions

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Transeunte

Joined Jan 7, 2014
I'm thinking of a solar system for my trailer.

I wont be using any device that works with grid altern current, well actually i will, but all of them use ac-dc converters and work with 19, 12 or 15 volts.
I could use an inverter and i would connect all my devices throuh the ac-dc-converters, but this seems a little stupid: have solar panel and bateries with 12v dc, convert to 220v ac and then back to 12, 15 or 19 dc. Stupid but versatile, as i wouldnt have to worrie with diferent voltages.
So, i would like to have a system without an inverter (12v dc to 220v ac) but i have the different voltages problem.
What do u think about this options and what solutions can you think of?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Many portable or RV systems are designed to work on 12V batteries which could be between 12V and 14V.

If you need voltages higher than that you can use a DC-to-DC boost converter set to your desired voltage. These circuits can be very efficient, greater than 85% efficiency.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
5V is easy - just get a car-to-USB adapter. Very inexpensive and efficient. Or you could make your own with a 7805 regulator. Not as efficient but very handy.

There are also car-to-laptop adapters but they aren't so cheap. An inverter may be the best option for that.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Use a 24 volt system with solar charging of each 6 volt battery.

Then you will have 6-12-18- or 24 available to regulate down with linear regulators.

The loss in regulator efficiency would be countered by simplicity.