Solar panel voltage regulator.

Carlost

Joined Jul 9, 2007
So I need to build a voltage regulator that will charge a extra battery that I have with some solar panels it asks for at least 24v and 2.5 amps. I had made a voltage regulator that is regulating the voltage at 24v when I plug it in to a power supply but when u put it on the solar panels out side it only gives me 7 to 9 volts and only 300mA or so and that’s not nearly enough to charge the batter any suggestions?? Or has any one built a circuit that could support the 24V and 2.5 amps that I need, the solar panels give me 27-29 votls but i dont think its giving me the current i need once under load, :confused:Pleas help. Thanks.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Well, it sounds like your solar cell array is not able to supply sufficient current.

What is the measured current your solar cell supplies at 24V?

Take that result, and plug it into this formula:
2.5Amps/CurrentMeasuredAt24V = NumberOfSolarPanelsNeeded

You might also try using items like Fresnel lenses and mirrors to concentrate the sunlight on the cells, but beware of overheating them. To keep them cool, you could use a large heat sink.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Connecting them in series increases the voltage, not the current.
Connecting them in parallel increases the current, not the voltage.

Solar panels have historically been quite expensive to acquire, particularly in larger sizes.
To get the most out of them, you'll need to keep them aimed perpendicular to the sun's rays, or use a steer-able reflector/focusing element(s)

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Open circuit voltage of a solar panel can be 33% higher than load voltage. Ratings given in the catalogs are for peak output, and are also subject to a "negative tolerance rating."