Solar Panel showing wrong output

fabieville

Joined May 25, 2009
I have a solar panel rated for 100 Watt @ 5.1 amps and max shorted amps @ 5.5 amps.
However until recently I realize that my output has drop by about 50%. Even when the panel is facing directly at the sun and the sun is at its peak I am still not receiving the amount of amps from it when I do a current test by shorting the output leads. The most I get now is between 2.5 - 3amps.

I am guessing that a cell probably gone bad as it is a used panel and I saw like the person was trying to drill a hole in the frame but accidentally went right through and the bit went right through one of the cells and it create just a tiny little hole in the cell and looking from the backside of the panel you could see the glass which is at the front through that tiny little hole, but I dont think that small amount of gap in the cell could cause such a dramatic decrease in output. Would this have an effect on the panel like allowing moisture to develop? Or is this cell definately at fault as looking at the other cells they look quite perfect.

Another thing I was wondering if it's one or both of the diodes in the junction box gone bad?

I notice the problem just after a 2 week peroid of rain but mostly overcast was over and I did a amps test and found out the bad news.

So what do you guys think? Can it be repaired and how? I am guessing after repairing I could just use sylgard to seal it up back.

I am urgently awaiting on your reply.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
If hes drilled in to a cell then is no good any more & it only takes one cell in a chain of cells to drop the output. Yes it needs to be sealed as moisture will degrade it further. The only way ive recovered a panel with a faulty cell was to bridge the faulty cell. This repair was on a pannel that the cells were set in clear sillicon.

fabieville

Joined May 25, 2009
even thou its just a small little hole in the cell that still has made the cell bad?

And in regards to bridging the cell should I take it out and bridge the connections?
I am wondering how should i seal back the panel as its a factory made panel with the tab wires not at the top of the cells but they are at the back of the cells and it looks as if they are bonded to the glass so can u give me some ideas as to how to seal it up from moisture perfectly after doing the repair?