Solar Panel Puzzle

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
The NECA-IBEW Electrical Training Center, maintained by IBEW Local 48 and the Oregon-Columbia NECA Chapter, is located on Airport Way in Portland Oregon, just a short distance south of the Columbia River.

On the south and west sides of the building are photovoltaic arrays. The arrays have the same number and type of modules. The arrays were installed at the same time, wired by the same people with the same methods, and tests indicate they have the same efficiency. Both are in good working order.

As expected, the west array generates about 90% of the south array's output on a sunny summer early afternoon.

Here's the puzzle: Annual average output of the west array significantly exceeds that of the south array. I know why. Do you?;)

Last edited:

HarveyH42

Joined Jul 22, 2007
Got me, I grew up in Sandy (western side of Mt. Hood), seemed to be raining or snowing most of the year. Just a few months of daily sun during the summer. Would think solar a good investment. Portland was only 30 or so miles away...

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
I'm guessing it has to do with fog and overcast which I believe is very common in the Portland area, especially near the river, and typically burns off in the afternoon.

Last edited:

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
I'm guessing it has to do with fog and overcast which I believe is very common in the Portland area, especially near the river, and typically burns off in the afternoon.
Ron knows his meteorology!!:D The morning fog along the river is indeed the culprit.