Solar ipod charger

Luiz Pereira

Joined Apr 4, 2011
I am trying to build a solar ipod charger for my daugther. I have a solar panel connected to a car socket and a USB charger. When I connect the ipod nothing happen. Can you guys give me an idea what is going on. She is very sad because this is a project for the school. Thanks.

mbxs3

Joined Oct 14, 2009
What are the specs on the solar panel? What do you mean by you have it hooked up to a car socket?

I was messing around with an exact same circuit last week. First of all your voltage output to the iPod needs to be approximately 5 volts. So thats why I need to know the specs on your solar panel. I am not saying that the solar panel needs to output 5 volts, it actually needs to output more. The other issue you are going to run into depending on the solar panels capabilities is power rating. What is the wattage that your solar panel is capable of producing?

The USB charger you are using, if it is one that connects to a car socket, is already configured circuit wise to regulate the cars electrical system output voltage(I am guessing somewhere between 12-14 volts dc), to the specifications required by the iPod.

The specs on the iPod charger I have say that it outputs 5vdc @ 1A.(5 watts) So the solar powered circuit that you build is going to need to be capable of those parameters...5vdc for certain...it might be possible to use a lower wattage but I don't know for certain.

By the way, I haven't gotten my solar powered charger working yet either. But I plan on messing around with it some more.

Luiz Pereira

Joined Apr 4, 2011
What are the specs on the solar panel? What do you mean by you have it hooked up to a car socket?

I was messing around with an exact same circuit last week. First of all your voltage output to the iPod needs to be approximately 5 volts. So thats why I need to know the specs on your solar panel. I am not saying that the solar panel needs to output 5 volts, it actually needs to output more. The other issue you are going to run into depending on the solar panels capabilities is power rating. What is the wattage that your solar panel is capable of producing?

The USB charger you are using, if it is one that connects to a car socket, is already configured circuit wise to regulate the cars electrical system output voltage(I am guessing somewhere between 12-14 volts dc), to the specifications required by the iPod.

The specs on the iPod charger I have say that it outputs 5vdc @ 1A.(5 watts) So the solar powered circuit that you build is going to need to be capable of those parameters...5vdc for certain...it might be possible to use a lower wattage but I don't know for certain.

By the way, I haven't gotten my solar powered charger working yet either. But I plan on messing around with it some more.
Is a 6 watt solar panel.

mbxs3

Joined Oct 14, 2009
If you follow the info from mcgyvrs link, that is pretty much the route I was taking. So that is a good reference to get you where you are trying to be.