Solar charge and Solar auto darkening circuits

Mountain man

Joined Mar 15, 2014
Hi,
First post here. I have been reading books and made some simple designs. I am trying to make a circuit that has 4 flashing leds that connect to a solar panel that puts out 6v. And rechargeable 4 aaa bI can tteries. I have watched videos and designs on how this is do have. I havcuit e tried many of them and I can't not get them to work. Here is what I am using.

Pnp transistor
Photo cell
4 3v flashing leds
And resistors
6v solar panel
3aaa batteries

The auto dark circuit is driving me crazy. Every time I set it up its backwards. It lights up in light and off at dark. I need it the other way around. Also I can only get 1 led to light up. alot of times I can not even get the photocell to even work. This looks like a simple circuit to make and I can not get it. Any help or Info would be greatly appreciated!

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
If you want to make your own circuit, carry on, but if you just want to get it done, go find a solar landscape light. They are cheap and sometimes free, and contain the exact functions you need. Then replace the LED with your flashing LED, and the solar panel with your (larger?) panel.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Your transistor is an NPN, and will turn on when the light level gets to 0.7V darkness, a better circuit woul be to use a darlington, or an op amp.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi Mm,
Are the two White leads the solar panel.?

If yes, it looks as though you have the _ve of the battery connected in series with panel.??

For a test, remove the White panel leads.
Connect the Black wire from your battery to the Emitter and the bottom end of the LDR as shown in the link circuit diagram.

E

Attachments

Mountain man

Joined Mar 15, 2014
I just added a better picture for you. the photocell is working but its reverse. I need the lights on at night and off during the day. I do not have the solar panel hooked up yet. I am trying to get this circuit right first. that white wire is just going from the ground of the batteries to the pnp and photoresistor

Mountain man

Joined Mar 15, 2014
Thanks Bertus i have the Photocell actually working now. Thanks for the file as well. Everyone helped me a lot with the first problem.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Batteries look like 4 AA, Ni-MH @ about 2500 mAh, so on full charge should last about 30 h, so you may avoid problem of over discharge if solar panel can keep up. Use a shottky diode between SP & battery as you need every V available from SP.
As PNP version is in storage , might as well post it.

Attachments

burger2227

Joined Feb 3, 2014
You don't need both an LDR and a solar cell to do what you want.

The solar cell can turn on a PNP transistor when its voltage goes low. Run a diode from the base to the battery to charge it and keep the battery voltage from influencing the PNP transistor.

You can get the chip for solar cell garden lights here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=131139182802

The chip does everything for you. All you need is a coil and LED's

Mountain man

Joined Mar 15, 2014
I am trying this circuit out as well. I think I can use this 555 timer to make the leds flash , Solar, Charge batteries, and turn on at night. Can someone tell me where i would hook up the photocell to make this turn on at night? and will it work for me instead of the other circuit in this post? This way i can adjust the flashing to my liking if i go with the 555.