Solar cell different kind

mrel

Joined Jan 20, 2009
Hello
I would like to hear from people who have try this setup of solar cells.
I have many different kind of solar cell make from different materials, can i connect in series for high voltage and in parallel for high currents.
How can I connect all different solar cell materials to get high voltage and high currents.
If can be done ,how do i hookup the different cell and what do I need ,diodes ,resistors capacitor for the hookup?
Thank for the help
mrel

Boo

Joined Oct 27, 2009
Of course you connect them all in series and parallel to stack up voltage and current, no other components required, think of them as batteries.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Sort cells by short circuit current. Make series strings from cells of near same capacity. If charging a battery , stack enough cell @ .5V each, to give 150% of battery V. Might consider using a diode for each string when paralleling, if Vs are not =.

radiohead

Joined May 28, 2009
If connecting PV cells/panels in series-parallel for combined increase of voltage and current, be sure to use schottky diodes to protect the cells/panels from current back flow. This is particularly essential if using PV to charge batteries.

mrel

Joined Jan 20, 2009
Bernard
You mention do a Sort cells by short circuit current.
Can you explain how to do short circuit current test.
The word short circuit current,those word i have Not heard of before for solar cell .
I heard of short circuit where wrong wire touch another wire wrong wire.
Radiohead
What is PV mean?
Thank for the reply
mrel

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Short circuiting a solar cell causes no damage, to measure current, place current meter directly across cell terminals. A large cell may produce 2A, select appropriate current range on meter. PV= photo voltaic= solar cell.