Software question,...

CIVEDM

Joined Jan 28, 2014
Hi:) I am new to electronics. I have started reading the volumes of books provided by this website. It's awesome. I love it and appreciate it. Knowledge is power and is very expensive too:( I wouldn't mind going to school for electronics engineering but im not sure I could afford it or if I would even want to pay it if I could. This site is good enough for me:) I dont need the paper degree because I don't plan on working for anyone anyways:)

So! I was wondering if you was any software to simulate circuitry? I downloaded KiCad and DesignSpark PCB but Im not sure if they simulate circuitry?!?! I'm thinking they are only for drawing up circuitry? I installed DS PCB first. I had drawn a simple parallel circuit with a battery and a few resistors here and there and couldnt figure out if it could tell me anything about it. Voltage drops etc.

Anyone familiar with DS PCB? I want a piece of software for leanring to build circuits without actually having to build real circuits. Im not ready to do that yet. I know nothing beats doing the real thing but not yet.

Thanks in advance:)

CIVEDM

Joined Jan 28, 2014
I didn't read the brochure for DS PCB because I don't even know what it is that I'm reading:) LOL. But that's good:) So now I can use both.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Look for a simulator called Yenka. It is not the best tool for producing close to real world results. For that you will want to use something like LTSpice. But it is a very easy to use tool. Probably OK for beginners.

CIVEDM

Joined Jan 28, 2014
Thanks:) Let me try LTSpice first. Talked with someone over at DesignSpark and they said LTSpice comes with DSP PCB.

CIVEDM

Joined Jan 28, 2014
LTSpice is awesome! Exactly what I needed:) I have a question. I uploaded a pic of a simple series I made right out of the book. It's from vol #1 chapter 5.2 page 135. So I built the circuit and ran it,...

I noticed that it simulates a real world scenario. Realistic. As if I built it in person and checked it using a multimeter. that's cool.

Question,... I noticed I couldnt check the voltage after the last resistor R3. It says this is ground. I'm assuming that means its 0v right?

Also does it matter where the ground is placed?

Lastly,... why is it a standard the electron flow is from + to - when in reality it's the other way around?!?!?!?!? I read in the book the reasoning behind it but come on,... it's not enough of a reason to do this. I find that here and there Im having to force myself to go from + to - because I naturally want to go from - to + knowing that's how it actually happens:( It confuses me a bit or throws me off.

Attachments

CIVEDM

Joined Jan 28, 2014
Oh sorry and one more thing,... how do people usually attach examples here? Do they just attach the asc file or take snapshots or what?