Software Books Help Needed!!

Anthony Quah

Joined Dec 1, 2007
Guys,

I am interested in buying my own software book, as i am only a beginner i might need help to recommend to me what is the latest software that manufacturing is using..cause i study before C++ and VB ...but not really onto it..since i am in semester break..i hope to learn more about software which can interfacing with circuit..and communication.. Need help from expert here to give so advice which book is good for beginner ..

Please provide me :
- Name of the book
- Author
- and publisher...

Thanks
Anthony

mrmeval

Joined Jun 30, 2006

Anthony Quah

Joined Dec 1, 2007
well..i know there alot of book out there..just that i dont know which book is the best..u guy are the pro in this field..maybe some good book to recommend may help alot..

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Can I ask two questions:

1) What are your target applications? Desktop applications, embedded systems, mobile applications?

2) What development tools (IDEs etc) are your using to develop your C++ and VB applications (or do you want advice on this)?

This might give us a better idea for recommending books/websites.

Dave

Anthony Quah

Joined Dec 1, 2007
Dave,
thank for the quick reply
1. my target application is use it for circuit interfacing with computer
2. I really need your advice about C++ and VB application..

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Dave,
thank for the quick reply
1. my target application is use it for circuit interfacing with computer
2. I really need your advice about C++ and VB application..
Given that circuit interfacing with a computer could mean many things, have you considered using Matlab should you have access to it? The reason I suggest Matlab is that there are many inbuilt functions for interfacing circuits through a variety of interface-types to a computer. This will mean you can create powerful applications of the type you require with little code and the language is pretty simple to get used to. Sadly, Matlab is expensive and you are suspect to vendor lock-in where your codes will rarely work elsewhere (you could also look at GNU Octave as an alternative to Matlab but I'm sure about its capabilities for peripheral-PC interfacing).

If you are looking at C++ and VB, we use Borland but again you may need to pay. I suggest that if you are looking at using both C++ and VB then you may need to look at the Visual Studio tools (others may disagree). The best bit is you don't need to buy it, look at the Visual Studio Express Editions (http://www.microsoft.com/express/product/)

If you download these applications they ship with a hugely comprehensive manual (200+MB) which will be more than you could ever require. You can also access these manuals through MSDN (let me know if you want a link).

For programming, the web-based resources and those that ship with the development tools are vastly superior to any book you can buy on the topic and therefore I cannot suggest any specifically.

Dave