So you want a Job?

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
@ Derstom,infin..needs to do shorter post....I forgot you are in Vermont...sorta

like Maine right. Why no T.V. shows on Vermont.....you have the tough game

wardens also....how does it compare.
I agree loosie--SI, wanna try to make your points a bit more concise? :D I tend not to read something if it takes up more than a few inches on my computer screen :p

Vermont has some similar traits to parts of main--much of it is wilderness, lots plant and wildlife. I've always loved Maine too, but fact is it's just a bit too far north, and it requires more travel if you want to go elsewhere. Vermont isn't as far in the corner as Maine is, so trips tend to be shorter (less gas used, or less energy, and it's cheaper).

There are some tv shows on public television. One I used to watch is "VPT's Outdoor Journal". Basically giving tours of all the things in vermont. Like short documentaries on a few different ideas per episode. Might be able to find some one youtube. But the truth is, we're not on major networks because there are no major networks way up here :D They're all centered further south. Which is a good thing, if you ask me ;)

Game wardens are only tough once in a while. The only ones I've ever met have been friendly, interested in helping. They do their job, and don't let their authority get to their heads.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
@ Derstom,infin..needs to do shorter post....I forgot you are in Vermont...sorta

like Maine right.
Why no T.V. shows on Vermont.....you have the tough game

Go to Maine and take a left, you can't miss it, the quiet is deafening :D

SplitInfinity

Joined Mar 3, 2013

like Maine right. Why no T.V. shows on Vermont.....you have the tough game

Lucieee...I'mmm HooOOOOOOMMMEEee!

There seems to be a TV special devoted to Vermont every hour on the hour during Maple Syrup Harvesting Time. All you need to do is put on the Cooking Channel, Style Channel, Travel Channel...etc...between the months of Feb. thru March and you are going to watch some kid getting and eating a Vermont Snow Cone Special.

The Vermont Snow Cone is made by scooping up freshly fallen snow and forming it into a ball about the size of a Tennis or Baseball. This Snowball is then placed into a cone of paper to act much like an Ice Cream Cone...except it is made of paper not cookie dough...then Fresh Made and extremely Creamy Thick Vermont Maple Syrup is poured all over it...then you eat it...but not the paper cone! LOL!

I make these myself as I have two Sugar Maples in my backyard and it takes a Hell of a lot of Maple Tree Sap to make a thick Maple Syrup as it must be boiled down.

Sugar Maple Tree Candies which are Light Brown about the size of a U.S. Quarter or slightly bigger...made into the shape of a Maple Leaf...and tasting like Pure Maple Sugar Heaven...MMMmm. My Girl believes eating them is an Afrodisiac....so I make sure I grap a few boxes of them when I see them being sold at that special time of the year in local Maple Syrup Makers.

As this pertains to a JOB...if a person wants to go into business for themselves...any business that is SEASONAL...must charge prices to the customer that reflects the limited amount of earning time allowed to the owner.

Being in RETAIL SUCKS as I have several friends who had their shops absolutely destroyed by the MEGALOW MARTS of the World. If you do want to go retail...AND I STRONGLY URGE ANYONE EVEN CONSIDERING TO DO SO TO TAKE A BOARD AND HIT THEMSELVES IN THE HEAD WITH IT AS HARD AS THEY CAN!!!!...but if you do...SPECIALIZE. Sell the very BEST of something that due to what you are sellings Quality, Speciality, Limited Numbers and lack of others that carry it...YOU CAN CHARGE several thousand percent over cost.

People who want the BEST have NO ISSUE paying big bucks to get the BEST. Every store from Home Depot to a 7/11 is selling everything from Condoms to Power Tools...so pick something that will bring in High Level Clientelle...with High Level Bank Accounts and High Level Tastes.

The best part is that LOCATION is not an issue as a frind of My Girl sells Metal Sculpture from well known artists out of an Old Abandon Mill near Amherst, Smith, Elms, Baypath, Hampshire and Mount Holyoke Colleges.

LOL! We have a LOT of World Renoun Colleges in Western Mass and there are a lot more including UMASS.

Split Infinity

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Snowcones are absolutely fantastic. One of my favorite treats as a child. It's been way too long since I had one though. :(

Where I am in Boston there is a huge collection of schools--

MCPh, MassArt, Wentworth, Wheelock, Simmons, Emmanuel, Northeastern, Emerson, the list goes on.

SplitInfinity

Joined Mar 3, 2013
Snowcones are absolutely fantastic. One of my favorite treats as a child. It's been way too long since I had one though. :(

Where I am in Boston there is a huge collection of schools--

MCPh, MassArt, Wentworth, Wheelock, Simmons, Emmanuel, Northeastern, Emerson, the list goes on.
Yes...I was just talking with My Girl and we agreed that Massachusetts MUST have the largest number of Ivy League Colleges as well as a number of very good Universities and School...and let's not forget Prep-Schools such as Deerfield Academy.

I know the current King of Jordan who went to Deerfield Academy as I met him at a Large Rock Club near UMASS on Rt. 9 in Hadley Mass. This club had acts playing there such as the Outlaws, Molly Hatchet, The Cars, The Pretenders, Godsmack...etc.

His full nae is...Abdullah bin Hussein bin Talal bin Abdullah bin Hussein bin Ali.

I call him...Tabby. Abdullah II...or Abdullah the Second...or Abdullah Two...thus Two Abby....TABBY! LOL!

Split Infinity

SplitInfinity

Joined Mar 3, 2013
I just remembered something very important as far as something that should be said to the person that would hire you.

Now in this job market...people are settling for what they can get and whether or not a person would prefer to work at one comany rather than the other simply because the only difference would be one company has a better work enviroment...right now is not an issue.

But...when you are being interviewed...and although it is imparitive NOT to over talk or give demands to a potential employer or their hiring personel...such as...I will tellyou right now my last job had only one fridge in the break room and a Microwave that didn't work. I will only work for you if you have one of each working and of a specific size.

Obviously they would throw you out of the building if you said that...but letting a potential employer KNOW right off the bat that it is important for you and important for your ability to give 100% to the company...that a professional and non-agressive work enviroment is vital.

Letting them know that from the beginning will do little if nothing at all to change any company issues but what it does do is show them your MAIN INTEREST AND CONCERN is your WORK AND CAREER. For that short period of time you are saying this...the person charged with your hiring will be nodding their head in agreement as they would NEVER argue with your statement as well as they spend all sorts of time just trying to get employees to stop screwing around and actually work.

The Psychology in this as far as helping to get you hired...The more time you can get an employer to agree or actually nod their head in affirmation...and you must get them to do this for the greatest amount of time available during your interview....the less possible time will exist for them to be shaking their heads or disagreeing with anything they feel is said by you in that it does not fit the mold they have established to fit their newest hire.

People in general will be happier, more open to giving a person a chance, more comfortable thus more responsive to you as well as more inclined to talk to you on a personal level. As I stated earlier in this topic...people hire people based upon the ratio of 30% being your qualifications and 70% as to whether they LIKE YOU.

A employer or his hiring personel will NEVER hire another if for a good period of time...and we are talking about only 5 minutes or more...they are finding themselves shaking their head or feeling uncomfortable in that because they don't like what or how you are talking to them about...they feel anxious to get the interview over with as they feel they are wasting time.

However if they LIKE what they are hearing because you are saying all the right things...and better yet...if you took my advice and did some research to find out who this person is and what they like...something as simple as mentioning the rug in this office reminds me of the one at the country club I play golf at...the green rug hides the green grass that litters it...or anything you can find a connection to this person.

If at this point this person cracks a SMILE...and you are qualified for this job...you WILL BE HIRED!

Split Infinity

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
Lucieee...I'mmm HooOOOOOOMMMEEee!

There seems to be a TV special devoted to Vermont every hour on the hour during Maple Syrup Harvesting Time. All you need to do is put on the Cooking Channel, Style Channel, Travel Channel...etc...between the months of Feb. thru March and you are going to watch some kid getting and eating a Vermont Snow Cone Special.

The Vermont Snow Cone is made by scooping up freshly fallen snow and forming it into a ball about the size of a Tennis or Baseball. This Snowball is then placed into a cone of paper to act much like an Ice Cream Cone...except it is made of paper not cookie dough...then Fresh Made and extremely Creamy Thick Vermont Maple Syrup is poured all over it...then you eat it...but not the paper cone! LOL!

I make these myself as I have two Sugar Maples in my backyard and it takes a Hell of a lot of Maple Tree Sap to make a thick Maple Syrup as it must be boiled down.

Sugar Maple Tree Candies which are Light Brown about the size of a U.S. Quarter or slightly bigger...made into the shape of a Maple Leaf...and tasting like Pure Maple Sugar Heaven...MMMmm. My Girl believes eating them is an Afrodisiac....so I make sure I grap a few boxes of them when I see them being sold at that special time of the year in local Maple Syrup Makers.

As this pertains to a JOB...if a person wants to go into business for themselves...any business that is SEASONAL...must charge prices to the customer that reflects the limited amount of earning time allowed to the owner.

Being in RETAIL SUCKS as I have several friends who had their shops absolutely destroyed by the MEGALOW MARTS of the World. If you do want to go retail...AND I STRONGLY URGE ANYONE EVEN CONSIDERING TO DO SO TO TAKE A BOARD AND HIT THEMSELVES IN THE HEAD WITH IT AS HARD AS THEY CAN!!!!...but if you do...SPECIALIZE. Sell the very BEST of something that due to what you are sellings Quality, Speciality, Limited Numbers and lack of others that carry it...YOU CAN CHARGE several thousand percent over cost.

People who want the BEST have NO ISSUE paying big bucks to get the BEST. Every store from Home Depot to a 7/11 is selling everything from Condoms to Power Tools...so pick something that will bring in High Level Clientelle...with High Level Bank Accounts and High Level Tastes.

The best part is that LOCATION is not an issue as a frind of My Girl sells Metal Sculpture from well known artists out of an Old Abandon Mill near Amherst, Smith, Elms, Baypath, Hampshire and Mount Holyoke Colleges.
LOL! We have a LOT of World Renoun Colleges in Western Mass and there are a lot more including UMASS.

Split Infinity
I used to live in Granby, just down the road....

SplitInfinity

Joined Mar 3, 2013
I used to live in Granby, just down the road....
I know where that is...used to spend time at the base nearby.

Place used to be a major SAC base and they had Nukes stored in Ground Swell Bunkers...as well as that base is so big it was an alternate landing strip for the Space Shuttle.

Split Infinity

SplitInfinity

Joined Mar 3, 2013
I used to live in the town of Granby, just down the road from the colleges he mentioned..

That was 35 years ago.
Also...when I would leave that base...and I know the bases name but I prefer not to post it...myself and few of my team would leave the North Gate...which is really North East...and go to a Rock Club called Antony's.

I believe that is in Granby on the town line.

Split Infinity

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
Also...when I would leave that base...and I know the bases name but I prefer not to post it...myself and few of my team would leave the North Gate...which is really North East...and go to a Rock Club called Antony's.

I believe that is in Granby on the town line.

Split Infinity
Stoney Brook...Mole Hole...sound famalliar...I used to work for 99th Civil Engineering Sq, as a civillian...Also worked out there for AAFES.

And if I'm not mistaken, Anthonys was called the Ron-Roc in my day

Last edited:

SplitInfinity

Joined Mar 3, 2013
Stoney Brook...Mole Hole...sound famalliar...I used to work for 99th Civil Engineering Sq, as a civillian...Also worked out there for AAFES.

And if I'm not mistaken, Anthonys was called the Ron-Roc in my day
Ya! I think your right about the club name! LOL!

I believe it is a Strip Joint now.

That base...although now being used for Reserves flying C-5A's...has a LOT going on at all times if you know what I mean. Back in the day...and the public did not even know they existed at the time but they were flying over the Pole into Eastern Europe and parts of the old Soviet Union...were the F-117's which came out of Groom Lakes Skunk Works...Have Blue program.

They would fly in to that base at night since it was no longer a SAC base and was considered low profile. It is interesting to note that some of the most important programs and events in History are conducted out of places that are supposed to be...quiet.

Split Infinity