So what is with the hand to the face in portraits?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Not sure if it is popular in other parts of the world but many people here seems to pose with holding one hand in front of their face with the back of the hand facing the camera, fingers bent in sort of a fist.

This is just weird. I have always though that perhaps it was a way for young women to show off their new engagement ring but all sorts of people chose this pose including men. Sorry but for a man it looks awfully effeminate. There is a guy that has the pose as his avatar on a bicycle forum and it is simply disturbing.

So what is with this portrait pose?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Post examples and I'm sure I can make up a believable answer.

I was thinking about that but not sure if it would be permissible to post someone's photo without their permission but i guess a thread will do.

First post at the top of this thread.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/871700-Trans-American-with-warmershowers-org

Hopefully you do not need to log in to see the avatars.

It is a fairly common pose for portrait type photos. One hand is held in sort of a fist placed under one eye.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I've seen some of this, too. I notice the ones with the open hand beside and just touching the face. Completely stumped.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Looks like a standard pose spun off "The Thinker" If I recall lots of Authors do their back picture page in this pose. I used to do landscape photography and have read a few books on body and motion photography. Haven't done any portrait stuff so I don't know. But I think its a standard photography pose for a profile picture.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I've seen some of this, too. I notice the ones with the open hand beside and just touching the face. Completely stumped.
As I said. It makes sense to show a ring, say for a woman's engagement photo.

Also maybe to hide a scar but if that is the case there are an awful lot of people with scars out there.

It is freaky.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Looks like a standard pose spun off "The Thinker" If I recall lots of Authors do their back picture page in this pose. I used to do landscape photography and have read a few books on body and motion photography. Haven't done any portrait stuff so I don't know. But I think its a standard photography pose for a profile picture.
I know the pose you are thinking of. Usually or not always used in a photo of an older gentleman. This is not it. This the hand is held directly in front of the past as in the avatar I referenced.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Where are you from t06afre? Maybe just a stateside thing?
I have noticed it a lot here.
Have you not seen my pictures. I thought it was obvious I am a Norwegian. But you are probably correct that this is a USA thingy. Showing support for something or someone

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Have you not seen my pictures. I thought it was obvious I am a Norwegian. But you are probably correct that this is a USA thingy. Showing support for something or someone
I've never seen it before today. Perhaps it's an Eastern US thing...Or I'm just that out of touch...one or the other ;)

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Today I noticed that one of our members posted a pic of somebody with hand under chin. I still have no clue why this seems to be in fashion at the moment, just noticing reality as I wander around the site.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
probably the symbol of some group. Like a "secret society" thing. People who know what it means probably already have a pic of themselves in that pose floating around somewhere. And they probably wouldn't tell you what it means if you don't.

Try that. Post up a pic like that and see who contacts you.